chapter twelve - it comes from the sea

"What the actual-?!"

The Acheron shook once more. Everyone halted their attacks to balance themselves as the wooden boards beneath them attempted to fling them off. 

"What's going on?" MJ barked at Sarah and Ian.

Before either of them could respond, a star-shaped animal the size of a carriage attached itself to the side of the Acheron. An identical specimen attached itself to the other side. Both had suction cups the size of an adult human's head throbbing on their barnacle-covered undersides. The backs were covered in a coral-coloured, rough exterior and dripping in sea water. Soon, other beings just like them sucked themselves onto the Acheron's sidings. That was when the vessel's wooden frames began to crack.

Lucas ran to the end of the ship and looked into the water beneath them. His gaze was met with the icy stare of a giant eyeball, completely devoid of any life, and several feet underwater. Lucas' assumptions were wrong. There weren't multiple giant starfishes terrorizing the Acheron. It was one giant creature belonging to the depths of a watery hell.

"W- What kind of squid i- is that?" Sophia sputtered.

"That's no squid!" Ian cried out from bellow. 

"A Jorvik?" Jalen breathed out at the sight.

"Jorviks have no right to be that monstrous!" 

"Well, there's no way it could be anything else," Lucas breathed out.

MJ swung by on one of the ship's ropes and removed something from her pocket. It was a long and grey object made completely out of... yarn? It was heading straight for the Jorvik, and in a flash, it transformed into a spear that pierced right through its flesh. A low rumbling could be heard from beneath everyone's feet, but the Jorvik just shook slightly before continuing to crush the Acheron. 

"Dammit!" she fumed.

Stepan snapped his fingers, and the water surrounding the ship began to freeze over and creep onto the Jorvik's finger-like parts gripping onto the sides. A thick layer of ice separated the pirates, Lucas, and Jalen from the gigantic eye in the water. But then a monstrous bellow vibrated from the depths of the sea, demolishing the ice. 

"No!"

"Lucas, can you face me for a second?" Jalen asked.

"Sure, why-"

A blow was sent right at Lucas' face before he even knew it.

"Ow! What the hell-?"

"Sorry," Jalen said sheepishly. He placed his hands together and closed his eyes. "I just need to..."

A translucent blue phantom flickered into the air. Soon enough, it became corporeal enough for its shape to become apparent: a ghost train. Lucas chuckled at the sight, but it soon cut right past him and overboard right through the remnants of the icy waters on invisible tracks. It sped right towards the Jorvik's eyes just before disappearing. The eye faded away in a crimson fog of blood in the water. 

"Was that a ghost train?" Matthew asked.

"Uh, yeah."

"Huh," was all he was able to say in response.

The Jorvik growled once more before disappearing into the deep blue. Soon, after the waves calmed and the fires on the ship flickered out, it was just Lucas, Jalen, the pirates, and the sea. There was also a sort of unsettling calm after the storm. Calm, but it wasn't going to last. The storm would return and more disaster will follow. 

That beast. That thing that came from the sea. It will be back, and it certainly will not be pretty.

✦✧✧✧✧✦