Chapter 35: My Keeper. My Savior. My King.

Start from the beginning

For Tony. For his life.

……………………………………………

~Six years prior~

-Rien-

“Why must you continue to test my patience?” I questioned in irritation and he frowned.

“You’re acting like I went out and broke my own arm.”

“You might as well have. I warned you of the dangers of fighting. I told you—”

“Jesus, don’t start. You’re not my dad, you’re my boyfriend so start acting like it.” He retorted with a roll of his eyes.

“And how, pray tell, should a boyfriend act? Should I not show concern? Should I not wish for your well-being?”

He stretched out on the narrow hospital bed, turning his bruised face away from me and folding his arms before him. “Well for one, you can stop nagging me.”

If I had not thought it would  do him more harm, I would have grasped his shoulders and shaken him until he saw sense.

Instead I chose to say nothing. To do nothing, until the silence became too much for him and he glanced my way. That ever-present frown still in place.

“Aren’t you gonna heal me? It’s starting to throb. I think the medicine they gave me is wearing off.” He stated, inspecting the cast that encased his arm.

“I will not heal you.”

He paused his inspection and looked at me. “What do you mean you won’t heal me?”

“It is time you experience the consequences of your actions. I will not be here to patch you up every time you choose to make a fool of yourself.”

His eyes narrowed. “He attacked me first, what did you expect me to do? Stand there and take it like a coward?”

“Had you not provoked him, he would not have retaliated. You are too reckless. I have told you many times. Yet you continue to put yourself in harm’s way.”

He shook his head and turned to inspect his other hand. He knuckles were badly bruised and already his skin had started to swell. The same could be said of his knees which were skinned bloody and of course his face, which was bruised and swelling.

I shook my head as well. He was a mess. “Perhaps this experience will teach you something.”

“But I’m in pain.” He turned accusing eyes on me.

“Your doctor will soon present you with a prescription. You can find relief in a drug.”

“This is ridiculous.” He grumbled before finally resting his head on the pillows stacked behind him. I could see that he was tired now, which was understandable after the night he had had.

“Hand me that marker.” I instructed, and with a frown, he reached over for the object lying on the clipboard beside him.

I took it, then took hold of his cast and he smiled suddenly. “You’re gonna sign it?”

He watched me while I scrawled the words onto the white plaster and when I released his arm and recapped the marker, he frowned.

Next time it could be your neck. – love Rien.”

He read the words aloud, then regarded me with an expression of mild irritation. “Gee, thanks for the sweet words.” The sarcasm dripped from his lips and I smiled.