see you later.

Pre-serum

The secret couple arrived at the train station later that day. Bucky finally had his uniform back and wore it proudly as they walked onto the platform. Steve looped his arm around Bucky's, which fortunately didn't attract attention.

The doors of the train stood mere feet away. Bucky turned to Steve, placing his hands on his shoulders.

"Two weeks, baby. Just two weeks."

Steve's eyes grew watery. "I hate goodbyes."

"Hey, hey, this isn't a goodbye," Bucky quickly interjected. He wiped a falling tear from Steve's cheek. "It's... a 'See you later'. Because I will see you again. You have to be strong for us. Hold down the fort."

Steve nodded, refusing to meet Bucky's eyes. So, Bucky took Steve's chin gently with his thumb and forefinger, bringing his head up until their eyes met.

"I love you," Bucky whispered.

"I love you, too," Steve returned, his voice cracking on the last word.

They clung to each other for one last embrace. With Steve's face hidden from the hug, he snuck a kiss onto Bucky's neck.

The train sounded its horn, and the couple pulled out of the hug. They both took deep breaths. Bucky gave Steve a hopeful smile before grabbing his small luggage case and heading to the train. He boarded and found a seat next to the window. He waved to Steve, and Steve waved back, wiping away tears with the other hand.