darling.

Pre- serum
TW: mention of gunfight

The click of the front door had Steve rushing to the living room of their apartment. As Steve rounded the corner, Bucky Barnes had his back turned, locking the door.

A pair of skinny arms wrapped around Bucky's waist. Bucky gave a soft laugh and turned so that he was face to face with his boyfriend. He picked Steve up so that his legs were now wrapped around his waist and his arms were around his neck. They clung to each other.

"Hey, baby," Bucky greeted, kissing Steve's shoulder.

Steve nestled his face in Bucky's neck. "I missed you."

Bucky carried Steve to the couch. He refused to let go, even as Bucky bent down to unlace his shoes.

When he sat upright again, he pulled Steve back just a bit so they could see each other clearly. Bucky comfortingly scratched Steve's back, sending chills up his spine.

"Is everything okay, darling? I know you get separation anxiety, but you typically let me breathe when I get home," Bucky smiled, using his free hand to stroke Steve's jawline with his thumb.

Steve leaned into his boyfriend's hand. "It was worse today."

Bucky furrowed his brows. "Did something happen?"

"A gunfight, right out on the street. It was just... scary." Steve once again buried his face in Bucky's neck.

Bucky pulled him close. "I'm sorry you had to sit through that. Do you wanna talk about it?"

Steve didn't say anything, but Bucky could feel him shaking his head.

"That's okay." Bucky kissed the spot behind Steve's ear. "I do need to use the bathroom, though. So, off you go.

Bucky peeled Steve off of him and set him on the couch. He placed a kiss on Steve's forehead before walking towards the bathroom.

"I love you, darling," Bucky called over his shoulder.

"I love you, too."