chapter thirty one

"Enemy ships approaching," Rex's voice came from the com on your wrist, the one you had put on after getting dressed in the hospital before boarding the Resolute. "All troops and fighter pilots down to the hangar immediately. Everyone else be ready at your stations."

"Stay here," you urged Padme, but she clung to your arms.

"Don't leave me," her face crumpled. "I'm... I'm afraid."

You were about to shuck her off of you again when a sudden jolt threw you off your feet. You slammed into the wall, your still aching muscles screaming in protest. You groaned, steadying yourself with a hand to the wall, and then decided to just let Padmé cling onto you as you opened the door back up and peered into the hallway.

They were a mess of clones running around, plastisteel armor clicking against the ground, orders being shouted all over the place. You checked the time on your wrist-- shit. It had been much longer than 10 minutes. The Resoute had been flying for an hour now, and must have been intercepted by Separatist ships. Anakin had said it was a slim chance, but still very much possible. You just hadn't actually expected it.

You paused in the doorway, unsure of what to do now. You wanted to find Anakin, but you knew him too well to believe he'd be staying onboard during a space battle like this.

No-- he was most likely already hopping into his starfighter and zipping off into the mess of bullets and explosions out there.

The next logical option would be to go to the infirmary, but it was manned by droids and you would be of no use there. The only thing you could think to do was go to the hangar and see if anyone needed help there.

You and Padmé stumbled through the halls, feeling along the walls as the lights flickered with each impact of a blast against the flagship. The Senator gripped you so hard, you wouldn't be surprised if she drew blood.

The hangar was no less hectic than the halls-- if not, it was more so. Clones in blue and yellow armor were rushing around, hopping into ships, and zipping off through the plasma shield before you. The huge open port let you see the true extent of battle-- Separatist frigates, hundreds of buzz droids shooting past, and a few miscellaneous crafts that didn't look like the rest were all met with the full brunt of the 501st and 212th.

"Pirates," Padmé gasped as a bright green ship whizzed by. So that's what those odd looking ones were-- they must be working with the Separatists, seeing as how the frigates and assault ships were still holding back.

Scanning around the hangar bay, you searched for something you could do that would make yourself useful. Your eyes met Ahsoka's at the same time she saw you.

"Y/n!" she ran up to you from her own assault ship. "What are you doing here with the Senator? Go back to your room, it's not safe for either of you!"

"What can I do to help?" you ignored her, and she groaned like she had expected that.

"You can get into a speeder crash, get blown up, then kidnapped and drugged, and of course you'd want to hop right back into battle. You're just like Anakin. Come on."

You thrilled at her words, following her up the ramp of the assault ship. It was a little bigger than a starfighter, with a whole control panel in the middle of the ship where clones were sitting at their stations. Ahsoka passed them all and brought you to the front, where there were three chairs set up before the window.

"I'm just doing a flyby of the Separatist fleet in the back, using the cloaking devices we've been developing for the ship," Ahsoka spoke as her fingers flew over the dashboard. "It's out of the line of fire, but if Anakin knew I was bringing you two along..."