Chapter 68

***

"I'm sorry... what did you say?" Lisa asked as she walked towards Chaeyoung. She then stared at her laptop.

Lisa's expression turned solemn. "She was born as a male?!"

It was not a question, more of a statement. A fact. Something that needed to be acknowledged.

"It seems that my instinct was right again. If my guess is right then only her mother is aware of her gender." Chaeyoung said.

"If I remember correctly, my uncle wanted to have a son and a daughter. My father said, that he was pressuring his wife to give birth to a daughter."

"Daughter? Why would he like to have a daughter and not a son? I mean most families want a son." Chaeyoung inquired as she took a seat and put the laptop on her lap. She still needed to do a lot of research.

"I have no idea. I guess we need to inform my father. I believe the mother and daughter pair were laying a trap for me and my father." Lisa said.

"No. I think someone is tipping Minnie off about our meetings and decisions." Chaeyoung disagreed. "If I were Minnie, I would have installed something in your father's meeting room, to hear everything they speak."

Lisa nodded in response to Chaeyoung's words. "Do you think her mother knows this? Or maybe she is the one responsible, so she could cater to her husband's request?"

"Yes, that could be the only explanation. Now, I believe, they wanted to create chaos to divert our attention towards their true goal." Chaeyoung said.

"And that is?"

"To make Minnie lead the Manoban Family." Chaeyoung answered. "Since your uncle always wanted a daughter, Jiwon was forced to lie to everyone about her second son. She told everyone that Minnie was already sick when she was born. She wanted everyone to stay away from the child, and take care of her like a delicate flower. However, when she turned twelve, her true gender was getting obvious, so her mother brought her abroad in the pretense of studying."

"Afterward, she had Minnie change her gender when she was eighteen?" Lisa finished her sentence. "Then why attack your company and even include Taehyung?"

"Minnie is smart. She has already laid out a trap for us. Previously, she made us believe that the target was me. She wanted me to hear about the pregnancy, so I would focus on helping Taehyunh. Then, she attacked my companies, thinking I would lose focus. She even attacked her own brother, to make you the suspect. Now, she is asking for our help. If I am right then it should be another trap."

"Father said the glass was supposed to be grandfathers." Lisa said.

"That's what he saw, but father did not know why Louis would grab grandfathers glass. What if Minnie was involved in Louis' actions? What if Louis knew all of this, and was just a bait?" she speculated.

Now, that they knew about Minnie's gender, it was actually easier for them to assume the reason behind her actions. "What if Louis just wanted to gain the approval of grandfather and your father? I mean, have you ever wondered why he did not die from an unknown poison? If it was really aimed for grandfather then it should be enough to kill someone."

"Think about it. If Louis was with them then he already had the public sympathy," she added. "It will be easier for him to challenge you and use this incident to question your morality."