The Exorcist Must Be Purged

Start from the beginning

Drawing your attention away from your food, you saw that a certain blue-haired bookworm had made his way in front of the restaurant and was leaning against the door with a skeptical look in his eyes. Before he said anything, he scanned the kitchen and looked at each person. Xiangling. You. Then, Chongyun.

"Dear Chongyun, I've been meaning to ask..." The look on Xingqiu's face resembled the expression of a worried yet disappointed parent. "Are you keeping something from us? Xinyan stopped by the Wanwen Bookhouse to tell me that you went outside of the city and came back hours later with blood on your sleeves. She is very concerned and so am I. Can you explain yourself?"

I know. Xingqiu, I know what happened. You wanted to jump out of your seat and scream the answer out loud. The Treasure Hoarders... He made a deal with them.

You wanted Xingqiu to know the truth about his friend. Surely, he would be able to take it. You weren't so sure about Xiangling, you feared that it would crush her. Imagine finding out that one of your closest friends was plotting a tragedy for another. The truth that was threatening to roll off your tongue was a friendship-killing weapon. A city-destroying bomb. They were just words.

Chongyun wasn't answering. He was too interested in that disgusting-looking icy treat to be paying attention to Xingiqu, who was patiently waiting for a response. Xiangling slowed her movements, soullessly dragging a wet cloth across a wooden table's surface. The rising tension in the room was as thick as the smoke rising from the pot on the stove. Something was burning.

"[Y/N], do you know?" Xingqiu asked. Chongyun stopped himself from biting off a chunk of the popsicle.

You felt like your words moved faster than your brain, but your mouth didn't open. You knew when to speak and when to hold your tongue.

Scaramouche taught you well. You were a fast learner.

You wanted to speak but all that resounded from you was a shaky sigh, "Oh, Xingqiu..."

Chongyun tore the popsicle stick away from his mouth. He shot you a deadly glare, eyes narrowed and sharp. Pure resentment radiated from him. The usual cool and calm aura around the exorcist became scorching hot. Rage. Daring. But composed. He then had a smug look on his face, stretching his legs from the chair to appear relaxed.

Xingqiu moved his heavy sleeves from his arms as he crossed them over his chest, waiting for you to finish, "Yes, my dear?"

You slouched sorely on the wooden stool, letting your lashes fall over your eyes as you found a way to stabilize your wobbling breathing. You cowered away almost. You were being blackmailed and you just couldn't help but wonder: Is this what it's like to be in debt? Is this what it's like to have something against you?

Mora. It was always about money. It sure feels different being the one at the end of a gun. You had no problem hurting those who wouldn't pay their debts, those who go over their due dates, those who betrayed the rules of the Fatui. But when it's the other way around, you feel trapped. So this was the kind of effect you had on people? It's excruciating.

"Why would I know anything about your friend's whereabouts?" You responded as steadily as you could.

"We're all friends here," Xingqiu replied easily. "I was only asking if you knew what has been going on in the background since both of you tend to sneak off together without us knowing."

Chongyun spoke up after tossing the half-eaten popsicle into the burning furnace, "Well, if you want to know so bad, I'll tell you: I had to do an emergency exorcism. [Y/N] knew nothing about it so it'll be a waste to ask her anyway."