vii

Kasia stood up and let out a sigh of relief when she saw Sonya walk back into the room, her eyebrows lifted in surprise when she saw someone walking behind her

Kasia stood up and let out a sigh of relief when she saw Sonya walk back into the room, her eyebrows lifted in surprise when she saw someone walking behind her. "This is where we keep all we've learned about the dragon markings. Cole Young, meet Kasia Jasani. She has the marking like you." Kasia walked towards him and shook his head slowly.

"Nice to meet you, I was just picked up not too long ago honestly." Kasia chuckles shortly and runs her hand through her hair tugging on the strands that got caught. "Guess we're the newbies. Seems like you and Jax got an interesting operation going on." Cole says moving his eyes across the board.

Sonya nods sighing. "He still hasn't picked up but hopefully that means he's alright." Sonya shakes her head putting her phone in her pocket. "I first learned about this seven years ago. Jax and I were on a mission in brazil to capture a wanted fugitive. When we got there, the target had superhuman abilities. Tore through our unit in seconds. The target had the same marking as you and Kasia do, Cole." Kasia resisted rolling her eyes, this was the same explanation that Sonya gave her and she was annoyed by it.

"When Jax finally took it down, the dragon marking transferred directly onto his skin. I've spent years trying to figure out what it all means, it seems that throughout history different cultures reference a great tournament but my research shows that there are realms and species that we didn't even know existed. That dragon marking signifies that you've been chosen to fight for Earth." Kasia sighs and stands up walking towards Sonya and Cole.

"It's an invitation to fight for something known as Mortal Kombat." Sonya points to the picture of a graffiti marking. Cole looks at Kasia with a confused look on his face. "Did she make that last part up because it sounds made up?" Kasia chuckles and shrugs at Sonya when she glares at her. "You can't lie, it does sound made up."

"Hey, listen to me, I think that there's another tournament coming. That's why you two are here, that's why Jax and I have been tracking you both because we need to find every last champion before it's too late." Kasia scoffs when she here's that Sonya called it tracking.

"You didn't track me, Sonya, you stalked us. You know how creepy it is to find out that someone came to my family home looking for me. Save yourself some trouble Cole, leave while you can." Kasia looked at Cole when she said the last part. "You want to do this now, I told you I'm doing this to protect you all." Sonya turns to face Kasia with her arms crossed.

"What if we don't want to be protected? Did you and Jax ever think of that? It's clear that you two were so wrapped up in your Savior Complex's that you never asked us what we wanted." Kasia says loudly arms crossed. Sonya gulped and shook her head quickly. "I know that you want to get your mark off and honestly, I don't why but as a long shot, this tournament might help you get it off. You're right, we should let you both decide what you want to do but this is the fate of the world we're talking about."

"I hate to interrupt this lovely conversation you guys are having but I have to piss again." Kasia and Cole jump when they hear a voice coming from the dark side of the room. "Who is that? Was there someone else here?" Cole asks directing who question to Sonya who lets out a sigh. "Careful, he bites," Sonya says once she notices Cole is walking towards the darkroom.

Cole yanks on the light and Kano winces as the light brightens the small room. "Hello, sunshine," Kano grunts out eyes blinking. "Who are you?" Cole asks.

"That's Kano." Cole scoffs and looks from Sonya back to Kano. "Kano? Kano what?" Kano smirks. "Kano None-of your- fuckin'-business!" Kano jumps which rattles the chains as Kasia tries to hide her laughter from what Kano just replied with.

Sonya moves away from Kasai and starts walking towards Cole and Kano. "He's a mercenary with the Black Dragon Clan. Arms dealer, drug runner, murder-for-hire, scum of the Earth." Sonya explains crossing her arms as she looks at Kano with hatred in her eyes.

"I also give really good foot massages." Cole tilts his head. "You have a marking," Kano smirks again, specifically looking at Sonya. "Actually, that's kind of a funny story. You wanna tell him blondie." Sonya walks closer. "I was tracking another champion. I was lucky enough to find Kano here instead, right after he slit the guy's throat."

Kasia gasps and backs up quickly, she puts her arms on the table and makes herself take some deep breaths. "You were never chosen. Fate has better standards than you." Kasia didn't think she was supposed to hear that but she did.

"What about you? Where is your marking? You've tracked us but you haven't shown us yours." Kasia says loudly surprising herself at the confidence in her voice. "Because I don't have one." Sonya looks at Kasia with an expression that Kasia can't read. "I know how you got you're marking but you and Kano are different. You were protecting your father, Kano is evil." Sonya softly says putting her hand on Kasia's forearm but Kasia yanks it back quickly.

"How do you know that? I didn't tell you, you asked me in the car how you got it so are you telling me you already knew or did you just look it up quickly?" Kasia yells but before Sonya could respond the building goes dark.