5: Grandmother

I was on my way back from lunch, my grin still spread from ear to ear like it had been since I met Sylvie. Sylvie, what a pretty name. Her golden hair suited her well, it matched her bright personality along with her vibrant emerald-like eyes.  

I could feel myself crushing, it felt like I was back in third grade at the moment I realized, I wasn't like my other classmates... 

Samantha (Sam) Windfield was her name. Her laugh could light up a room while her smile blinded anyone who dare look at it. Sam had shoulder-length curly back hair that was suitable with her mocha-colored skin tone and dark brown eyes. She and I had been inseparable since kindergarten, always hanging out at her house. 

I still remember the day Sam told me she was biracial, well more like she told the entire class but who could blame her? She was a second-grader who was proud of this fact. Her mom was African American while her dad was a caucasian. See, as kids, we don't see skin color or ethnicity, were taught that as we get older. Racism is drilled into our minds as if it is as important as math or English.

Anyways, like I said we were inseparable up till 5th grade, I couldn't figure out what I did wrong, had I simply said something in the wrong way? I didn't know nor could I ask her, she wouldn't speak to me. 

It was a Friday afternoon, I heard my parents call for me. It was not uncommon that we had family talks but this one was out of the ordinary. "Ellie," my mother started "It's been brought to our attention that Samantha isn't speaking to you." They had always refused to call her Sam as they thought it was 'too boyish' for a young girl. "Recently her parents gave your father a call, saying that they don't want their daughter being friends with a," she paused, clearing her throat, "lesbian." The word rolled off her tongue with distastefulness and bitterness. My Moher began to collect herself since apparently even saying the word sent shivers down her spine. "Now Ellie," my father began, "we know you not like those vial feens that Rome the streets looking to prey on young children. So, we will be moving to a new school where you can have a fresh start, no more rumors or people looking down on our family, just the perfect young lady we raised." 

"Yes mother, yes father." I managed to croak out, "I understand." They smiled at me with pride in their eyes. Although I was still young I knew that one day those looks of pride would turn to utter disappointment.

I whisked away my thoughts, stepping into the cabin ill be calling home for the next couple of months. "Someone happy," Stitch said, placing zir book down on the coffee table across from the couch.  

"Yeah, I found a good book down at the library." I rubbed the back of my head anxiously, trying to avoid zir question. 

"uh-huh. Totally." Ze got up and started walking towards the small mini fridge we had, fixing zirself a hot fudge sundae. 

I sauntered down the hall, face still bright red, trying to avoid looking at JJ who was on her bunk, playing Uno with AJ. "Someone looks happy" AJ teased. 

"Shut up," I say jokingly. Even with only a few hours of knowing each other we still had a sibling bond. "So, wheres Devin?" It was odd that it wasn't on its bed watching the latest true crime documentary with River. Honestly, those two were made for each other. 

"I dunno," JJ mumbled, shoving another handful of popcorn in their mouth. "Check Rivers bunk, maybe it's there?" wandered across the hall into the other camper's room. 

"Hey, Noelle!" Casey gave me a warm greeting "welcome to our humble home," it giggled. 

"Actually it's El now, trying something new out," I shrugged. "Anyways, have you seen Devin, it wasn't in our room and it's not here so..." 

Reese looked up from their DS "Oh it and River went on a walk, they should be back soon. Why do you ask?" 

"Devin wasn't in my room so I just wanted to make sure it didn't wander off. Well, you've been very helpful, but I have a date with my bed and none of you guys are invited." 

Reese rolled their eyes before going back to whatever game they were playing. I collapsed on my bed. Surprisingly it wasn't uncomfortable like I thought camp beds were supposed to be, but it's not like I'm complaining. 

Within a blink of an eye, three weeks at camp had gone by, and just like that, it was mail day. Goody, another homophobic letter from my homophobic grandmother. I sat on the cold hard stool while Ms. Jordan and a few other counselors passed out the letters and care packages. Not surprisingly, I received my letter from guess who... my grandma. Yay? It read

Dear Noelle,

Hows camp, I hope you'll mind that your illnesses are being cleared up. I can't wait for my precious little girl to come home at the end of the summer. Hopefully, you'll be somewhat fixed since I was told this was a 4-year program. Tell your new friends I said hi and always remember Straight Is Great. 

With Love,

Grandma

Peachey, Just what I wanted in the morning, coffee scrambled eggs, and bacon with a side of being misgendered by my own blood. I balled the paper up. throwing it in the trash like the worthless piece of trash it was. It wasn't like I was the only one doing that though. Plenty of kids were tossing out notes among other items. 

I never wanted to go home. Please just let the summer last forever.