Chapter 2

Alec dragged me into the big fake building. The greyness towered overhead, and I shivered, real fear setting itself deep inside me. It wasn’t a feeling that I was used to. I stopped being scared so long ago that this chilling ice in my veins was so new, so disconcerting that I wasn’t sure what to think.

Back in school, when children were afraid of the dark or spiders or snakes, I scoffed at the idea. I would always think of what ridiculous things they were to be afraid of when there was people starving, people dying, people alone…

That’s why I wasn’t scared. I was alone. At first, sure, it worsened my fear. What six year old child wouldn’t be scared of the dark without snuggling up to their parents? But there was never an option of comfort, or snuggling for me, just loneliness. So I got used to it.

I used to have a mantra. Fear is not an option. I used to chant it over and over whenever my parents left. I was thinking of that mantra now, as I solemnly followed Alec into the factory, where a huge, dimly lit room awaited us.

“Ah, Blackshaw, I see you brought me my little flower. She is more delicate than I recall.” A man stepped from the shadows. His booming voice matched his appearance. His features were pronounced, under the muted light. He had grey hair, slightly receding, and appeared middle aged. His hard mouth curved into a predatory smile as his silver eyes scanned my body from my feet to my face.

He nodded in approval. “So tempting. I could fuck her right here but I wouldn’t want to… ruin her.” He smiled a knowing smile and I fought the urge to empty the contents of my stomach. I settled for covering my body up. His smile vanished. “Was she feisty? Or did she come willingly?”

“She came… willingly, sir.” Alec spoke respectfully, eyes to the ground. Sir? Who was this man? Alec’s body was tensed all over, but his eyes remained on his toes, never looking up.

“Ah… God. Perhaps, we won’t have to train her. She can get started immediately.” I didn’t like the gleam in his eyes.

“Train me? What the fuck do you want with me?” I raised my voice. Alec sucked in a startled breath next to me.

The man strode over, his eyes flashing. He raised his hand and slapped me across the face, blackening my vision and sending me sprawling. My cheek exploded in pain, and the taste of metallic blood spread across my tongue. Alec looked at me sadly but didn’t make a move to help me at all.

“Shame to mar that pretty face of yours. We’ll have to start tomorrow, so that bruise has time to fade. Blackshaw, see to her room. Stay with her tonight, make sure that she doesn’t escape.” Alec didn’t look up, but nodded subserviently.

Alec walked over to me and looked down to where I was sprawled across the ground. He knelt down and put one hand on my waist and one on my face. “Are you okay?” He asked softly, his eyes full of sadness and regret. His thumb stroked my bruise as he helped me to stand. He slipped one arm around my waist and pulled me so that I lent on him. I wasn’t even that injured, apart from my cheek, and that wasn’t going to disable me enough so that I couldn’t walk. But he felt so soft and warm and strong and… safe.

Which in itself was wrong, because he was the one who kidnapped me. Or did I give myself to him?

When we reached a staircase, the man called out. “And Blackshaw! Don’t deflower my little virgin girl!”

It wasn’t until Alec led me to a long hall, lined with wooden doors, that I felt the colour leave my cheeks. Alec still had a firm grip around my waist, his fingernails digging in slightly, and it was doing funny things to my mind.

 His musky scent was strong and inviting and I leaned into him closer. He glanced at me and smiled. He lent down and pressed his lips to my temple in a gentle gesture that startled me. How could he be so caring after watching me get slapped and doing nothing about it? But once again my body betrayed me and sighed happily.