20) The Punishment

Start from the beginning

Now after almost twelve years he is again going to receive the same punishment from his father.

And without uttering a single word of denial, Rudra brought the wooden stick to his father.

"Kneel down," came the authoritative voice of his father.

Without an ounce of hesitation. Rudra fell on his knees ready to take a punishment from his father.

That's what you got for breaking the rules of society!

Getting up from his chair his father put up the stick and asked calmly.

"Say. What did you do."

Still in a kneeling position and his eyes focused on the floor. Rudra said, "Dad. I do not understand."

"Oh! You do not understand. Let me ask you clearly, Are you going to share your woman," his father roared. The red fuming anger was now clearly visible in his eyes.

"Tell me who is Aadya? Is she your and your friend's whores? Give me an honest answer," he sneered.

Rudra's ears twitched and his jaw clenched hearing the words coming from his father's mouth for Aadya. Looking directly at his father's eyes he said, "She is our lover."

His father's eyes widened hearing his words. His assumption was right. His son is putting the reputation and name of his family in stake and doing this heinous crime.

Clutching Rudra's hairs in a tight grip he  gritted out, "Have you lost your mind. You imbecile fool !!"

He stared at Rudra's eyes for a long time trying to detect a lie lying underneath his orbs. But all he got was sincerity and love.

Love for that girl. The same love he will find in the eyes of other two men. It's irrational !

That girl must be some witch. Spelling witchcraft on his son. Yes she is a witch and he will not let his son marry a woman like her.

"She is going to be our wife," Rudra again whispered, adding fuel to the fire.

He saw different emotions swirling in his father's eyes. Anger, confusion, shame and the most prominent was disgust.

His father was disgusted by him. And why not after all he is bringing shame to his family.

"You have the audacity to say so," and with that a first hit of a wooden stick came on Rudra's body followed by another after another.

Rudra's mother came in the room and within a second she was drenched in sweat and her body was shaking in nervousness seeing how brutally her husband was beating her son.

"What are you doing? He is not a kid anymore. Stop hitting him. Sit down and talk calmly," she said.

"Don't you dare to stop me. Do you have any idea what your son is planning to do? He is planning to share a wife! It's a sin. A big sin. He deserves this punishment.

He is crossing the boundaries set by society. If I did not kill him today he will only bring shame to our family tomorrow."

His father was not able to control his anger and it infuriated him more seeing how adament Rudra was.

His son will gladly accept the punishment but will not change his decision.The quality of him he was once proud of but not anymore.

She looked at Rudra who was taking every strike without any reluctance.

No it can't be true. It must be some misunderstanding. Yes it's just a misunderstanding. Her son could never do something like that.

"Please don't hit him. Please try to talk first, maybe everything is just a misunderstanding,"she insisted her husband as softly as she could.