Chapter 16: Epicaricacy ✔️

(n) - the joy that results from others misfortune

Pronounced: ep-eh-care-uh-cuh-see

•Winter's pov•

I stretch my arms above my head and look over at my alarm clock. It's 8:35 in the morning on a Thursday. Yesterday, an announcement came on the loudspeaker, as well as an email being sent out to all the students and guardians, informing that school would be out today and tomorrow due to a teacher's convention.

Instead of getting out of bed right away, I lay down for another 10 minutes or so before getting up and making my bed. I go into the bathroom to quickly wipe my face with a warm, wet washcloth to wake myself up. Now that I'm awake, I make my way downstairs and to the kitchen for breakfast. There, I see Chef Devon (pronounced Duh-von) cleaning up the kitchen a little. He looks up from the counter and smiles when he sees me.

"Good morning Winter. Your brothers told me to tell you that they are already at work and they are sorry they could not spend the morning with you."

"All of them left for work? Even Demi, Lio, and Rio?" I ask. (Rio is Wonder's nickname. His middle name is Mario.)

"They help with the business often in case one of them has to be left in charge while the eldest four are away or unavailable. They are very capable as well, despite their young ages. Now, how about some breakfast?" He asks. I smile and nod at him.

He pulls a plate of breakfast sandwiches with croissants as the bread from the oven and places it in front of me. He continues cleaning up the kitchen while also talking to me as I begin to eat the delicious food. He also sets down a glass of milk on the island for me to drink.

Her breakfast

My morning with Chef Devon is very enjoyable

My morning with Chef Devon is very enjoyable. His company is definitely welcome at any time. It's easy to talk to him about anything and his smile makes you want to trust him almost instantly. Even though I don't trust him completely, I trust him enough to let my guard down a little. My brothers chose him and he's still around for a reason. I trust my brothers' judgment.

When I finish my breakfast, he takes the plate away and bids me goodbye for now. I go upstairs to brush my teeth, do my skincare, and get ready for the day. The fact that all my brothers are at work, most likely for the mafia, makes it a great opportunity for me to go to the gang house and check up on things.

I walk into my closet and get dressed in a pair of camo pants, a cropped, black t-shirt, and white sneakers. I comb my hair down and get out an extra backpack I have to pack assassin things in just in case. I put any essentials I may need in the bag and grab my keys and helmet before leaving my room. I yell out to Chef Devon, who's still in the kitchen, that I'm going out with a friend just so he won't get suspicious about my whereabouts and shoot a text to my brothers.

Her Outfit