Chapter Twenty Eight: Morgul Work

Start from the beginning

Butterbur thought for a moment, "There's Bill Ferny's old place, last house before the South Gate. No one goes there now, perhaps your folk can make use of it."

"Then we shall commandeer the property as our base of operations. We will need good builders to make the alterations when we go North. If you could recommend anyone, they will be handsomely compensated."

"I'll speak with my cousin Arch, he's a builder and done plenty of work around here," said Butterbur.

Undercover of darkness, a cloaked group exited the cellar door of the Prancing Pony, dragging their bound and hooded prisoner to the abandoned house by the South Gate. Two of the group pulled off some of the boards and kicked down the door, whilst another placed the Arnorian Standard outside. Inside, they came upon an all-purpose room with a small fireplace, everywhere had a thick layer of dust and looked like it had been abandoned in a hurry. A trapdoor in the corner of the room led to the cellar and a rickety staircase to an upstairs chamber.

"Hardly a base of operations, but it is a start," said Thranduil as he removed his hood, the others doing likewise.

"Shall I light the fire?" said Elladan.

"Best not, for now, we have, unpleasant business to attend to," said Thranduil. He threw the prisoner to the floor.

"I think the cellar would be best, less chance of eyes upon us," said Márafea.

"Agreed," Thranduil.

"I'll patrol outside, ensure no one has followed us," said Elrohir. He exited the door and back into the night. Dust flew up as Elladan lifted the trapdoor, he jumped down into the darkness. After a few minutes, they could see light coming out of the cellar. Thranduil picked up the prisoner by the scruff and threw him down the hole. He looked back at Márafea, "after you, my Queen," he said.

Márafea smiled thinly, just before she jumped down Thranduil stopped her. "Show a little, restraint. We need as much information out of him as possible," he said.

"You needn't worry, I would see him suffer a good while yet," said Márafea, her bright eyes glinting in the darkness. She then leapt down into the cellar.

Thranduil sighed, "she may be released from his service, but not his influence," he whispered to himself before he too dropped into the cellar below.

The cellar was also full of dust and detritus, Elladan had lit a lamp which he had hung from a hook in the ceiling. A few rats scurried away from the sacks they had been gnawing on. Several large barrels stood at the far end of the cellar, Thranduil examined them. "Pipeweed and wine, interesting. Still, it is now in the possession of the proper authorities. I am sure we will find a good use for the wine."

"I can think of a good use for the wine right now," said Márafea as she gave the prisoner a kick.

"That would be a waste of perfectly good wine," said Thranduil. Elladan tossed over some chains he had found, and Thranduil attached them to the hook. "Bring him here," he commanded. Márafea picked up the prisoner by the scuff and pushed him over to Thranduil. "Now, now, my Queen, be gentle with our guest," he said sarcastically. He wrapped the ends of the chain around the prisoner's bound wrists, then pulled his arm up above him. The Prisoner blinked as Márafea removed the hood, his thick dark hair was matted and his bronze skin, covered in tattoos. The prisoner looked without fear into her silver eyes, a smirk forming across his face.

"The Silver eyed Queen, my master said you would come, he looks forward to offering you to Melkor," he said.

"Not if I see him first," said Márafea. She slapped him hard across the face with the back of her hand.

Thranduil's nostrils flared, he drew his dagger pressing the point against the prisoner's throat. "You would be fool enough to threaten the life of my queen in my presence. If you were not of value to us, I would that smug face from your pathetic body !"

"I am nothing more than a humble messenger," replied the prisoner.

Márafea brought her knee hard into his groin, "You tried to kill a young woman in my service, how does a Dunlending get mixed up with the Temple of Morgoth?"

The prisoner grunted in pain and breathed deeply as he composed himself, "Melkor is all powerful, Melkor is all wise," he whispered.

"The Wardress is under my protection and you dared to make an attempt upon her life," said Márafea.

"My master must purge himself of his crooked kin, Hail Melkor! Hail Melkor!" chanted the prisoner.

"Morgoth is nothing more than a chained prisoner in the timeless void, Now tell us who sent you," said Thranduil.

The prisoner smirked, "Melkor is everywhere, in the earth, in the trees, in the very hearts of men." He looked at Márafea. "Even you have darkness in you, my queen, a power our Lord Melkor could make use of." Márafea gave him another hard slap.

"I know I said to show a little restraint, my Queen, but," said Thranduil.

"Oh, I have barely started," replied Márafea.

She clamped her hands on either side of the prisoner's face, forcing him to look into her eyes. She stared deep into him, her radiance shining from her eyes. "What is she doing?" asked Elladan.

"I do not know," replied Thranduil.

"I see you, for what you are, speak your truth," commanded Márafea, her voice unworldly. In her mind, Márafea saw through the prisoner's eyes, "I see your truth, your footsteps, tell me what I want to know. Who ordered you to kill the Wardress?" she continued.

The prisoner cried out in pain as he tried to resist, but Márafea drew his words from him without mercy. Thranduil looked on impassively, as Márafea forced the prisoner to tell them everything he knew.

"Surely you have all you need from him now," said Elladan.

"Not yet, I haven't finished with him," replied Márafea.

Elladan looked uncomfortable. "I did not think you would go this far, sister. To take a man's mind and......."

Márafea turned to him, her silver eyes inflamed, "This man is a corrupted soul. I will use whatever means necessary to get the information I need!"

"We have come across his kind before, standard interrogation techniques will not work, these creatures deserve no mercy. You have had no dealings with them. Now, if you are uncomfortable with our methods, I suggest you leave and assist your brother in keeping unwanted eyes away. Our work is unpleasant, but what we do is for the good of Arnor," said Thranduil.

Elladan shook his head, "This is not how our father raised you, what would he say? What would Mirthandir say?" protested Elladan.

"They are no longer here. King Elessar, our brother, ordered that all Melkor worshipers be purged without mercy. Let them seek redemption in the Halls of Mandos. We cannot quail from our duty, Arnor must be restored," said Márafea.

Elladan shook his head, "I cannot say I approve of your methods, but I will not baulk if that is what needs to be done for the good of Arnor," he said.