One

To Lawliet:

I graduated from University today.  I feel relieved, but at the same time, I feel... unsatisfied.  'Unsatisfied' is the only way I can describe the way I feel.  I'm not unsatisfied with my schooling, nor my accomplishments, but I can't help but feel that something's missing.

Now that I'm thinking about it more, that 'missing' object may be my mother.  She was so proud when I told her I was going to University, and she would have been extremely happy if she were here today. But we ended on such a bad note...

Anyway, I'm going to be optimistic.  This is just a new beginning.  I can go apply for jobs now and establish myself as a good, smart citizen.

It's really funny though; hearing all these people tell me that I'm some kind of genius having only completed the coding course in only two years instead of four.  But I don't see how people can't complete it in two years.  It's simple, but then again, I've had more than enough experience coming into the course compared to beginners.

Maybe, one day we'll meet, Lawliet.  I've appreciated your communication for the past two years, and now that I've graduated and am ready to establish myself as a true 'adult,' I'm just that much more determined to meet you.

Thank you for everything, Lawliet.

~Kaori

Her thumb hovered over the green 'send' button on her black cell-phone.  This message to her electronic friend seemed particularly deep, and that made it all-the-more nerve-wracking to send.

The silver charm that attached to the cell-phone's case glistened under the bright, spring sunlight. She smiled at the key charm, as it was a gift from this very dear person, Lawliet.  He had said that he thought of her when he saw it because it sounded like her alias, KI.

In some ways, the key is ironically the most perfect representation of a hacker's lifestyle.  A key can open countless locks, but it can also close them.  Almost any door can be opened by a good hacker, just as a good key can open any lock.  She was sure that the thought crossed Lawliet's mind as well when he sent it to her. 

Remembering that fact only assured her as she sent the message to the unknown receiver.

Kaori made sure that her ringtone was turned off and the vibration was on, and she had hoped to receive a text from Lawliet soon.

When she saw a pink petal float to the sidewalk, she looked up and smiled happily.  It was the time of year when cherry blossoms bloomed from thin, gray-looking branches and slipped from their vines, sliding to the ground peacefully.

An abrupt cough interrupted her worriless tree-gazing.  Slightly irritated, Kaori turned.  "Miss Kaori Inoue, right?"  The young man said in a tired, low voice.  He was particularly odd as well, standing slightly taller than the girl even with a hunched back.  He had dark, dull eyes, and he looked exhausted with the dark circles painted under his wide orbs.

She narrowed her thin black eyebrows.  In the current day, it was unsafe to give a name so easily.  

"You're also the infamous hacker, KI, are you not?"

Kaori was taken aback by his forward question.  "H-how did you know?" She whispered harshly.

The strange man seemed satisfied as he smirked.  He rested his thumb on his lip, nibbling it softly as some kind of odd, childish habit.  "I feel I should be honest..." He drew out his words.  "I am L."

The girl was unable to speak, and noticing this shock, the peculiar man claiming to be the renowned 'L' knew her most important secret.

But Kaori took a deep breath and composed herself, appearing entirely calm. "Why should I believe that you are L?"

He hummed for a moment as he thought of his answer.  "I can understand why you would question that." He spoke reasonably.  "But you should really be asking yourself why I haven't sent you to jail for your little... hobby.  Do you really think that I wouldn't notice that you tried to hack my system several times?"

Kaori sighed and hung her head in defeat. After all, the only system she hadn't been able to hack was the fancy one L had rigged up in his brand new, fancy tower.

"You see, I've been keeping a tab on you so that when the time comes, I can use you." He mentioned nonchalantly, but it left the girl with an unsettling feeling.  "I have come to propose an offer to you, seen as you just graduated from this university." 

She narrowed her black eyes. "You're really creeping me out." She muttered.

"Oh, really? How exactly am I..." The supposed L paused, trying to figure out how to say the next phrase in a term more suitable to his odd speech.

"You know everything about me!" Kaori squealed in a forced whisper. "I mean, no one knows that I'm..."

"KI." He finished her sentence.

"Don't say it so easily!" She scolded. "It's just as bizarre as walking around and telling everyone that you're L, which I still refuse to believe."

"Mm... I see.  By the way, it would be best if you called me 'Hideki Ryuga' at the University."

"Now you're demanding something of me..." Kaori whined, growing increasingly displeased by this so-called 'L.'  "Why are you here anyway? I'm assuming you're not just going to allow me access to your system..."

"No, not necessarily." He answered immediately.  "However, as I said before, I do wish to propose an offer to you, KI."

"Inoue." She corrected, not comfortable with L calling her by her first name or by her hacker alias.

"Okay, Inoue. I'm sure you're very aware of the ongoing Kira Case, and I believe that you would be very useful in solving the case." His explanation was far from over, but Kaori turned away from him and began walking away -- declining his offer without any words.

Her shoulder-length black hair fluttered behind her, accentuating her confident flair.

"I'm sorry, but I don't think I mentioned that you don't really have a choice."

Kaori paused, waiting for him to continue.

"You see, if you don't come to work with me now, all I have to do is call the police.  You will be arrested immediately. But if you do decide to work with me on the Kira Case, I can assure you that you won't be arrested, and in fact, people may think of you as a hero instead of a criminal."

She tilted her head so that she could look back at the strange man.  His eyes widened excitedly and the edges of his mouth twisted upwards into a grin.  "That's not likely." She said simply. "You work in complete secrecy."

L hummed again.  "Smart girl." He commented. "But the rest of what I said is true." He pulled a rectangular cell-phone from his pocket with his thumb and index finger.  He flipped it open, most likely to instill fear in the girl to show that he wouldn't hesitate to call the police.

"Why are you so persistent in having me -- a criminal -- on your team?" Kaori asked with a frown.

"I already said that you are a smart girl." He mentioned, then hesitated.  "Have I told you of the benefits? Of working on the Kira Case alongside the few other detectives and I, I mean."

She shook her head, but she was still on edge.

"I have to say I'm quite proud of my tower.  It's quite spacious. In fact, you will get an entire apartment to yourself.  We also have state-of-the-art technology, which should be appealing to a hacker like you."  His dull gaze captured hers.  "So, what do you think? The Kira Case or jail?"

"This is unfair." Kaori sighed.

L chuckled, knowing very well that his means were unfair.

"But as you said, I don't really have a choice."