2- A Step Closer to...

Start from the beginning

I walk over to where the cash register is -the right side of the coffeehouse entrance- as the door behind me shut close by itself. I start to turn on all of the lights and fans switch that's on the wall near the cashier area.

And just like that, the coffeehouse comes back to life, all thanks to a few new lights and fresh breeze air from the fans. I walk away from the cashier to the back room which is like its name, is literally in the backside of the building. I unzip my jacket and begin to change into work clothes. I tie the dark green apron tightly around my waist before walking back to the cashier.

Suddenly, a buzzing sound comes from the back of my jeans pocket. I take out the phone and look to see who the caller is. It's Spencer.

I swipe the screen and put the phone close to my right ear. Spencer's voice then comes from the phone.

"Enzo. I'm so sorry but I'll be a bit late. I overslept."

"Ouh, that's fine. Say hi to that guy from the party for me." I cheekily say as I walk to the front of the cashier, the small pastries area.

"We're not gonna talk about that." I can hear him grinning from the phone." So to make it up, do we need anything for the coffeehouse?"

"Hmm. I don't know. I guess you can buy a new packet of sugar from Mike's." I stroll around and checking every pastry. "And ouh yeah I'm kinda hungry."

He let out a sigh. "Okay, I'll buy a new packet of sugar. And I'll see what restaurants I can find that are open at this hour."

"Thank you, Spenny. I owe you one."

"You owe me more than one but, yeah. I'll be there around 9." I can hear the blinking sound of the car from the phone. So, I'm assuming that he just gets into the car.

"Okay, see you." I put the phone back into my apron pocket. I look up to the round clock that hangs behind the cashier's wall. The two arrows show that it's 8:28 am. Two more minutes until the coffeehouse opens.

I walk from the pastries section to the coffee area. It's just a corner that is half-kitchen but also half-serving.

I fill the water from the sink into a large bottle. I then take the large bottle and dump the water into the empty reservoir. After that, I place a filter onto the machine before pouring the coffee grounds onto it. To end it all, I turn on the machine switch and let the machine brew the coffee.

Just then, the bell that hangs on top of the front doors rings loudly; meaning that someone just enters through the front door. I'm clearing the mess that I made on the kitchen countertop to look at who just came to the coffeehouse. "Welcome to Cinnamon Boys Coffeehouse." I greet cheerfully. "We just open the coffeehouse so, you have to wait for the coffee while it's still brewing."

"I got to be somewhere but I don't mind waiting for a while." My ears perk at the sudden voice that I instantly recognize. I look up from wiping the countertop to face the person.

"Ryan, hey. You're here early than usual." He then moves from the entrance to the coffee area. He's wearing his orange vest and his usual boots that he wears when he's working at the site.

"I know. There's been a change of plans." He is now standing in front of the counter with his face fully visible. "We need to head off to the other side of the city before 10."

"You mean Brackford?" He nods his head. "That's funny. Me, Spenny, and June went there yesterday, for a party?"

"Really?" It's my turn to nod.

"Yup, we did. Help me carry the cakes?" I tilt my head in the fridge's direction. He hums yeah. I drop the cloth on the countertop and walk to the large fridge that's beside the coffeemakers.