Chapter 21 - Silence is Safe

Comenzar desde el principio

Deku stood from his seat, a little startled from the sudden entrance of his explosive childhood friend.

"Kacchan," he murmured softly, his brows pinched in worry from Bakugo's mask of indifference; something that was easy for him to see through.

He sighed after realizing the hero would tell them in due time and sat back down, watching the ash blond take his seat at the head of the table.

With a nod of his head he acknowledged the group of heroes, pulling out a metal box from the drawer of the table. "Your phones," he eyed Momo, "and the laptop."

With wide eyes, they all placed them inside, including a few other radio transmitting devices in their suits. After locking the box and clicking a button, the whole meeting room started a customary lock down; the protocol only used for the securest of conversations.

The windows were shut off with metal panels and the doors were locked. Then the cameras, the bright lights turning off and on right after.

Subsequently, the sounds of machinery finally silenced, the breathing of the seven heroes being the only sound to fill the silence.

Bakugo stared at the wood of the table, scrutinizing the dark grains snaking in patterns as he compiled his thoughts.

Scenting last night essentially rebooted his thoughts, his worries. He woke up soundly, peacefully, which was something he hadn't experienced to that extent since the sludge villain incident at the age of fourteen.

It brought clarity and yet it also brewed emotions he had never felt before. Emotions that led to mountains of uncertainty and oceans of deep dark doubt. Doubt for his capabilities in protecting the omega he was entrusted with. Doubt for his irrational feelings that always led to his covered wrist that always thumped with its own heartbeat whenever he was too close to the omega.

But he'd have to bury his apprehensive self deep within his mind, letting his calculative self take the wheel until he could guarantee her safety. Until he puts the NVA behind bars. Until he puts Dabi behind bars.

Shoto broke the silence. "Bakugo," his voice remained stern and leveled. "What information did you receive?"

With a new found conviction, he looked up glaring into the cerulean eye that resembled the villain's. "The NVA moved yesterday, they tried to capture Fire- Hina Tanaka."

All of the hero's eyes widened a second time, the green hero ready to ask a monsoon of questions. However, seeing the ash blond's scowl deepening, he stopped himself.

Seeing they all chose silence to let him finish, Bakugo continued. "I secured her at the forest safehouse with the golden key, so she is safe... for now." He huffed a heated breath filled with agitation, his gloved hand ruffling through his spikes. "But that's not the worst of our concern." A beat. "She hasn't told me all the details of the incident, but from what I do know, the shitty villains waited for her to leave Midnight Hills. Those bastards knew she was going grocery shopping yesterday." A low growl slipped before explaining farther, "and the only way they could've known was if they overheard our conversation the day before. Meaning they-"

"Bugged your house." Deku finished, before squeaking in embarrassment. "Sorry for interrupting."

"Tch, you're fine." He muttered.

"So I take it Shirakumo-san took you guys," Shoto spoke again, his voice monotonous and slightly curious.

Bakugo nodded, before recalling the sentence Hina'd ominously said yesterday.

"Even heroes got their fair share of traitors."

"Another thing," Bakugo started, "The villain who intercepted her, he said that heroes got their fair share of traitors. That's why we got all these safety measures in place."