31) cycle of hatred

Todoroki Shouto is something of a conundrum.

The son of the number two hero is cold, indifferent, yet determined in everything he does. Every move seems to have a reason behind it, every look comprised of a plethora of emotions that are so tightly contained that not even Izuku can identify them all.

But upon closer inspection, with Todoroki leaning against the wall just a few yards away from him with this look in his eye, Izuku thinks that that's not quite right. His emotions aren't contained, they're suppressed. As if he doesn't understand how he's supposed to deal with them, so he just sweeps them under the rug and covers them up with a sort of angry facade that pushes everyone away.

It's familiar, but only at first glance. Kacchan's intimidation is different: it's a fiery heat, a string of curse words and insults, and it's not always honest. Kacchan doesn't always mean the words he says; it's more of a barrier, a better, legal way to express himself since homicide is frowned upon.

Todoroki's intimidation, however, is colder. It's ironic considering Todoroki should be the one with the fiery spirit, but now Izuku's starting to think he's finally beginning to understand why he is the way he is—it's because he simply doesn't know how else to exist. He doesn't know how to be soft.

All he knows is heat and scorching fire, brutal fists and angry expressions. So perhaps the cold is where he finds himself more at home.

Which leads to the problem at hand.

Izuku slows to a stop and stares at the boy. His classmate is standing half in the shade, his right side shadowed and his left side illuminated in a golden glow, bringing attention to the nasty burn right over his eye.

I wonder if it still hurts you after all those years.

Izuku's own scars itch at the thought.

"You want to talk?" He asks, trying to sound neutral. The last thing he needs is to piss his classmate off. "The dining hall will be packed if we don't hurry."

Not that he cares much about that. He just wants to get back to his bucket of chicken. And maybe look up some more cat videos for motivation while he's at it.

Todoroki is still standing there. Glaring. Izuku holds his gaze without blinking, genuinely concerned. I bet he wins most staring contests.

It doesn't take much longer for the boy to speak: "You surprised me. So much so that I broke my own pledge."

Oh. So this is about what happened during paintball. Izuku doesn't think he likes where this conversation is going anymore. A small part of him had hoped this wouldn't be another confrontation.

It would've been to Todoroki's advantage to use his left side during the entirety of the second round, and yet he didn't use it until he deemed it necessary.

"Iida, Kaminari, Yaoyorozu." He brings his hand out of his pocket and studies it as he speaks. "None of them felt it. In that last instant, I was the only one feeling that pressure."

The only pressure Izuku remembers feeling in that situation was the pressure of KFC's possible lawsuit hanging over his head, but he doesn't voice this thought aloud.

Todoroki looks back up. "You didn't use your power, and I still felt that shift. It reminded me of someone."

"Oh?" Izuku tries to mask the sudden panic that stabs at his gut. There's no way his classmate knows about his fath—

"Are you All Might's secret love child or something?"

And—wait, what?

It's Izuku's turn to stare, blank-faced and confused as he processes the question. Is he who's secret what?