19) from me to you

(WOAHHH LOOK!! This is by @emfriedrice on IG. I love this so much ahhh!!)

When Toshinori sees his protégé running up to him at the park only a few hours after texting the boy to meet him there, he nearly has an aneurysm. Because what the actual hell is Midoriya doing?

The hero deflates almost instantly with a puff of smoke and a bloody cough, which is probably for the best seeing as he's in public and not hidden from any wandering eyes. Now isn't the time for any media attention or impromptu interviews.

His gaze immediately zeroes in on Midoriya's right arm, which is covered in what looks like cheap bandages from a discount store. It looks like an entire roll of medical tape has been haphazardly wrapped around his arm, not close at all to the level of care one should normally use when dealing with an injury of that degree. The boy's entire limb is hanging limply at his side and swinging with every stride.

It's sickening, if Toshinori is being honest, and that's saying something considering he's seen and had his own fair share of horrible wounds.

Why is he running with an injury like that? Is he insane!

"Woah, kid!" He stumbles toward the boy, waving his hands frantically to get him to halt. "What are you doing?"

Midoriya stops immediately and takes a tiny step away from the hero. "Huh?" He winces suddenly, green eyes flashing. "Ah, sorry! Did—did I do something wrong?"

He says it like he's unsure, like he thinks he's going to get yelled at for whatever he thinks he's done. The thought makes something weird coil in Toshinori's stomach, because why would the boy ever feel like that with him? Toshinori has never raised his voice at him, nor has he ever raised a hand against him outside of sparring. In fact, the only time the man has ever so much as raised his voice was when the kid refused to take a break that one day when he looked to be on the verge of passing out, and even then Toshinori had only done so to get his attention.

He's never truly yelled at Midoriya before, nor does he ever want to. So seeing the boy cower like that, as if he thinks he's done something wrong, breaks Toshinori's heart.

"No, my boy, of course not, but—your arm! How did this even happen?" He closes the distance between them again and carefully takes hold of his wrist, not missing the grimace the kid makes. "You were just fine yesterday!"

The boy rubs at his neck with his good hand. "I, uh, tried it out like you told me to."

"One for All?" Toshinori asks, horrified. "You broke your arm using One for All?"

"Er, yes? Was I... not supposed to?"

And oh god, is he seriously asking that? Toshinori is so stupid, so unequivocally stupid that it's almost funny. But in this current situation, the hero can't bring himself to laugh.

"I am so sorry, my boy," he says instead. He gently releases the wrist and shakes his head. "I should've warned you about the repercussions of using One for All. You see, I had been under the assumption that your previous enhancements would have already strengthened your body."

Midoriya tips his head, quick to catch on. "So this is normal?" he asks.

What irks Toshinori is that he doesn't sound apprehensive or disappointed when he asks—merely curious. As if the answer to that question doesn't really matter as long as the kid can get some interesting information out of it.

"Well, not really," the hero tries. "When my master passed One for All down to me, I could use it almost perfectly immediately after receiving it. I fortunately never had an issue with breaking my limbs." He sighs and takes another look at the boy's bandaged arm. "But it seems I was incorrect in my assumptions. Your body is still too small to use it at full power."