Chapter 16

* Few months later *

Hospital cartoons suck.
Occasionally there's those few rare good cartoons that come on but thankfully I have my mother's tablet and the hospital's WiFi so I can use Netflix and social media. So yeah I still have things to entertain myself with but the hospital is so gloomy and upsetting and whenever people visit me I can see the pity in their eyes. I hate it so much but it doesn't compare to what they see in mine, emptiness.

I look at the edge of the hospital bed where I made tally marks with a sharpie marker (surprisingly they let me have one). Eventually I lost count of how many days or months I've been in here. It seems like forever but I know that it really has been like 3 or 4 months.

I let out a depressed sigh as I stare up at the cartoons once again. It's half past one so I still have another two hours to wait until school lets out and I can see Mark and maybe Hope. There's nothing else to do with my parents at work and Stephanie left a little while ago to do a few errands before night school. So I decide to drift off into a deep sleep until 3.

*** *** ***
When I wake up in the afternoon I smell pizza and hear light chatter. I open my eyes and stifle a yawn. Two pairs of eyes look at me when I do so before standing up to greet me. "Hey." I say to both of them before giving each of them a hug. Mark lets his lips linger on my forehead and Hope just squeezes me slightly.

"How long have you guys been here? I hope not to long," I say with a smile.

"No. We just got here because we stopped by for food and that took a while. How are you, though?" Hope explained.

"Still good, Hope. Still good." Hopes always asks me that question and it never changes nor does my response to it. "So where's the pizza because I'm starving!" I add to no one in particular.

I can tell that I caught my two best friends off guard but they try not to show it. Mark recovers quicker than Hope and lets go of the hand he was holding to grab a plates that I didn't notice when he came in. He hands me a plate and then piles two slices of pizza onto it meanwhile Hope grabs a foam cup that she was carrying as well and pours Sprite into it. Lately, because of my medication my eating habits have changed and I don't eat the same things I used to either.

I'm starving, yes, but I'm not in the mood to eat pizza and the sound of the sprite fizzling doesn't sound appetizing. Regardless I'm forcing myself to finish the pizza my boyfriend and best friend gave me. I take small bites and make long conversations so by the time they leave I have eaten at least half a pizza and my second one has been left untouched. Mark and Hope offer to eat it or throw it away on their way out but I refuse. I promise that I'll finish it but even as they leave I see how skeptical they are to leave me alone when I've practically left my stomach empty.

*** *** ***

Later that night I fall asleep after watching reruns of Saturday Night Live. I don't dream anymore because of the drugs entering my body so normally I'm passed out until the medication wears off. Tonight that's not the case. Tonight I dream a dream.

I'm sitting at my desk in math class when there's a knock on the door. Everyone continues doing their work for the exception of a few students who look up but then quickly continue doing their work once gain. I look down at the stack of papers in front of me. It seems like we're taking a test but I struggle with a few problems. It seems like a short test but each time I flip the page the test grows and grows and grows.  One page is added then two then four then sixteen and so on. 

I feel like my head is going to explode but then all of a sudden I feel a shift in the atmosphere and the page number goes back to 5. I look up to see my math teacher telling me to go up to the front. I get up from my seat and leave everything behind except for my phone. I walk up slowly and when I finally reach the front of the room I try asking what's going on but no words come out. The person standing next to my teacher has his back to me so I don't know who it is but then in an instant the scene changes before me and we're in the park.

It's no ordinary park. It's the park that I've been to with only one other person and that's when I start to worry and  I begin to shiver. I take a few steps back but eventually I become frozen to the point where I can no longer move anymore. The person in front of me begins to turn around and by the time I can see half of  his face I let out a gasp. I come face to face to the person I once loved. To the person who told me he'd always be there for me until he no longer couldn't.

Then I scream and I scream

I scream until he disappears.

I scream until I wake up.

I scream until the nurses come running.

I scream until the put me to sleep.

And this time I do not dream.

A/N: I was watching One Tree Hill while writing this and Lucas scared me a little but it's all good. I've been busy doing Senior Directs and catching up with homework so I haven't been updating lately but we got 4 more chapters until the book is over!!