forty three: the not so approachable

Start from the beginning

A smirk tugged on my lips, and I turned my head towards the boy. "Following me, where you?"

He rolled his eyes playfully, and instead of retorting something sarcastic back, he turned to me with a serious expression. The smile I had gained immediately fell as I furrowed my brows and waited for him to say something.

"I wanted to talk to you about something." He says slowly, making my heart rate pick up a little. My immediate thoughts went to the kiss we shared a couple days prior, as we still haven't talked about what the hell happened there.

"I wanted to talk to you about what happened before Wicked invaded." He said, staring down at his hands in his lap.

Bingo.

I couldn't figure out if I wanted to have this conversation or not. A part of me screams no, but a very small piece of me says yes, because the one thing I want to do is ask him about it. What it meant, and why it happened. Because I still don't know, and the entire situation confuses me beyond belief.

"What about it?" I ask innocently, adverting my gaze to the horizon over the ocean.

Even though I wasn't looking at him, I could feel his nerves from here. They oozed out of his body, and he wasn't carrying his same confident exterior like he usually did. Here he seemed anxious.

"I'm sorry, and I know I probably shouldn't have sprung it on you, I just- it just felt right at the time and I wouldn't have if-"

I didn't like the idea that he was apologising for something he shouldn't be, so instead of listening to the boy ramble on about how he shouldn't have done the thing we clearly both wanted, I interrupted him by connecting our lips again.

And he immediately reciprocated by pulling me against him, and I wrapped my arms around his neck. The kiss was filled with much less desperation than before, as it was much softer and warmer – tender, even.

I always felt an overwhelming amount of comfort while being with Newt, and it never mattered what the activity was – he was just nice company.

And even though I didn't really want the kiss to end, I slowly pulled back to smirk at him. "If I wouldn't have wanted you to do that, I would have stopped you."

A grin pulled on the ends of his mouth as he smiled up at me. "Okay." He whispered, as I finally let go of his neck, but he kept his hands around my waist.

And I didn't stop him from doing that, either, as I felt much safer with his arms around me.

And that's how we slept, for the entire night, engulfed in each other, watching the view until our eyelids closed and we drifted off.

Together.

--

Newt's POV:

"Look, I'm telling you I feel fine. I feel great, actually." Brenda said behind me as I continued to pull at the ground.

"Are you sure you're not just saying that? I'm serious, if you feel unwell, you know you have to say something." Thomas replied, while he bent down to collect the carrots that were sprawled out all over the place. I sighed quietly, as I was getting rather tired of this conversation. It had been going on for the last twenty minutes and Tommy still wouldn't let up.

"Thomas, I just told you, I feel fine. Seriously, I do. If I start to feel unwell, I promise you I'll go straight to the nurses." She replied, much calmer than she had been before.

I saw Thomas was about to open his mouth to say something more, so I intervened. "Tommy, just let it go. She says she feels fine."

The boy huffed in response, before attending back to picking up lose vegetables off the floor. Brenda shot me an appreciative smile which I returned, before turning back to weeding.