Journey to the North

Years had passed since she found the old map, a piece of old vintage kind of paper. The map had rough texture and was crumpled like it had been squashed into a space not its size. And more significantly, it was hand drawn. The map itself was a work of art. It showed her the world she was currently living in. Every detail in it was splendid and on point, created with a great sense of craft and skill.

Based on this rusty beige-colored map she found stashed among their little to nothing belongings, despite all of the four kingdoms being hundreds thousands of miles away, the closest one to them was the place where the original female lead resided in and not a thousand miles away was the Eastern Wang. And they could only travel by foot!

It wasn't hard to put two and two together to know who Wang Heiyue was, however, she couldn't be so sure. The novel never mentioned Wang Heiyue's heredity completely, keeping him a mystery. A very reasonable characteristic for a villain, of course.

Bai Shuyin had originally planned on them going to the Eastern Wang and registered him into the imperial examination. Wang Heiyue was described as smart, so she didn't doubt his abilities to be able to compete with nobles, especially in the military exam. Once he got hold of social status, abilities, and power, it would smoothen his way to achieve anything— not that she recommended him to plot a coup d'etat.

However, in order to reach Wang Continent, they have to make a stop in Li Continent. So why not use this opportunity to let Wang Heiyue get used to the life of living in the city before going for the real deal?

It took a whole three days for Bai Shuyin to be able to convince Wang Heiyue that moving into the Li Kingdom was much better for them instead of living in the dark forest their whole life. She had come up with different kinds of excuses from insomnia to bug bites.

During those days, Wang Heiyue had ignored her like she had been spouting nonsense. He had been showing her his small back and pouting all day long until yesterday.

Bai Shuyin was washing their clothes by the river while Wang Heiyue was doing his warming up routine. Normally he would whine about her joining his warming up session, then she would accompany him and in the end they would spar as usual.

But, since he had planned to brood, he stayed silent the whole time. He didn't even ask for the morning hug package!

How could he...!

'Is my baby brother growing up?!' She gasped internally, horrified at the possibility that 'Tai Sui' had snatched her baby away from her. That deity needed to learn more about time management!

'No, that's impossible,' Bai Shuyin quickly reassured herself. 'He must have been mad at her suggestion the day before. He must not grow that fast! I refuse to accept it!'

Bai Shuyin still wanted to pinch those fat chubby cheeks before he hit puberty and shed all of it.

But why did he oppose the idea so much when it was her that was supposed to feel that way? Besides the fact that he would meet the original female lead there; which she honestly hated and absolutely wanted it to never happen; Bai Shuyin thought about giving Wang Heiyue a stable life in a small city when she was no longer by his side.

While scrubbing their clothes clean, she noticed how old and tattered their outfits were. Sighing, Bai Shuyin absentmindedly complained about it and mumbled how she wished to wear better garments, about how it felt to wear fine dresses with soft silk or decorous fabrics.

It seemed that Wang Heiyue had been listening to her complaints as he suddenly walked over to her and with a face full of regret, he finally gave his approval on moving into the Li Kingdom.

Who knew such a little request was able to move him despite all the effort she took in convincing him.

The white-haired transmigrator was so touched at that. She had raised this little brother into a kind-hearted boy, caring for his sister like this. Bai Shuyin couldn't ask for more.

She felt like she had achieved something.

Which brought them to this moment. She was humming as she packed their stuff into small bags. Unfortunately, while she was still  immersed in her "succeeding in raising a good little brother" fantasy, she didn't notice the dark and gloomy expression from the person behind her.

***

According to the original plot line, the little steamed bun wouldn't be stepping any foot near the Li Kingdom's border until he reached the age of 15.

'And after my death,' Bai Shuyin's mind supplied solemnly and she felt like ripping her hair out in frustration.

Knowing when you were going to die was not as easy as it seemed. It was much better not knowing about it at all.

By going to the Li Kingdom now, she was already changing the plot little by little. Even though she really wanted to go against her fate and avoid death, she wondered if she could do it.

If she really died this time, would her soul be sent back to her world or perished instead and be gone forever? 

She had been dwelling on that since the day she arrived in this world. Yet, it seemed she never came to a conclusion. So, throwing that aside, all she could do right now was to raise the villain to the path of righteousness and take it one step at a time.

In her mind, she had listed a few plans to change the villain. She had cleared step 1 and 2, not to mention, it was quite successful due to the fact that the villain was such a cute little boy right this moment.

It was quite easy to mold a young mind when it wasn't tainted or blackened with evil deeds yet.

Bai Shuyin looked at the kid in front of her, who was walking ahead of her, looking so alert like he was expecting them to get ambushed out of nowhere. His big dark eyes darted left and right and his posture was tense.

She felt her lips unconsciously jerking at the scene. 'Since when did he become so paranoid? Don't be scared, big sister will do anything to protect you!'

The journey to the Li Kingdom took several days by foot. Their little hut was located in between the Li Kingdom and Wu Kingdom.

Bai Shuyin had mentally prepared herself to be exhausted. The distance was over a thousand kilometers, a distance that's impossible to cover in a short span of time. She was sure once they arrived, her legs were gonna turn jelly.

Fortunately, the author was kind enough to alter the strength and stamina of the people in this world. They were abnormally strong, even the weakest of the weakest one.

They had passed rocky mountains and uneven paths, but Bai Shuyin had only felt a little tired.  They had started the journey early in the morning and hadn't taken a single break yet.

Wang Heiyue kept on walking without stopping, but she could see the exhaustion creeping upon his chubby face. However, she knew that with his pride, he wouldn't stop unless she called it quits.

Bai Shuyin watched him, almost to the point of tears, so young but so thoughtful! The heroine better be good enough for him! Her future partner not only was heart throbbingly cute, but also a very thoughtful one!

She couldn't let such magnificent goods fall into the wrong hands! She had shed blood, sweat, and tears to raise him wholeheartedly!

Bai Shuyin decided to call it a day as she saw the sweat that poured down his face.

"Ah Yue! I'm tired! Let's stop for today!"

***
'Tai Sui': The President of the Celestial Ministry of Time.