Xander was the one ensuring my health here. Being the one who brought me to safety, and was the first line of authority to the situation. It'd only be polite of me to personally thank him.

     "Dad, may I have a moment alone to pack up my stuff?" I scratch the back of my head and turn to my father, contemplating if I should say what I want to say next.

     "I'd like to thank Xander for everything he's done for us." I lower my voice, the embarrassment lacing my tone. "It'll be quick." I shuffle my feet, awaiting his response and hoping he wouldn't think anything of it.

     "If that's what you'd like." He shrugs. "My room is just next door. Don't take too long." He kisses the top of my head before stepping out and leaving me alone in the room with the very man invading my thoughts at night.

     Xander pushes off the wall and carefully makes his way over to where I stand next to the bed. His face is cold, almost expressionless, as if he'd practiced bottling up his emotions his entire life.

     The sun seeps into the room and hits him square in the chest, the exposed skin of his neck glistening golden. I take in his beautiful sparkling eyes as he stops before me, his gaze calculating as always. How I crave those strong arms around me right now.

     "I just wanted to thank you." I pause for a moment, my throat feeling too thick to talk. He raises a single eyebrow, the expression looking attractive on him.

     "It's my pleasure, Astrea. You were in need of help, and I was not about to turn my back on someone in need." He speaks softly, his words meaningful as they sink in. He brushes a strand of hair off my face, and my heart rate already accelerating as I attempt to control my breathing.

     The small stone on the pendant around his neck captures my attention. I rub my arms and keep my focus on it, my mind wandering to the world around us, so I don't sink into his presence entirely.

     "You're a wolf," I whisper, remembering what Charlotte had told me. Xander remains quiet, and the tug between us only intensifies as the seconds go by. My palms tingle, and I curl them up to numb the feeling.

     "I won't hurt you if that's what you're afraid of," he says thickly.

     I gently place my hand over his chest, the stone chained around his neck skimming the tips of my fingers. Sliding my palm up his chest slowly, I reach to touch the stone. His palm encapsulates my hand, stopping my motion. Keeping a firm grip on me, he removes my touch from his chest.

     My heart drops at the action, with both embarrassment at being caught in such an intimate act and possibly offending him with it.

     "I'm so sorry, Xander. I didn't mean to-" I begin, remorse in my tone. He blinks a few times to clear his thoughts before speaking.

     "Let's not speak about this." He clears his throat, his jaw locking as he steps away from me. "I'll leave you to pack your stuff now."

     "Okay." I don't fight him and allow him his space, already knowing he needs to step away to gather himself.

     He continues toward the door, running his fingers through his thick locks in the process. The room becomes dark, empty, and quiet once he steps out without another word.

     I had been the exact same way when my mother left, cold and distant. Whatever Xander is going through is none of my business, but I sure do hope he isn't going through it alone.

* * *

     My father had returned to the room with a duffel bag for me, not noticing the change in my demeanor as he handed me the bag. Not like I'd wanted him to question me anyway. How would I even explain it to him? Oh, you know, I just had an awkward moment with Xander after touching his chest like the complete idiot I am.