Chapter 4

I'm staring at a body... a dead body.

     Her skin is deathly white. Blood pours out of her mouth and nose. Her dark locks of hair are matted with leaves, and small branches are tangled in the mess. I stumble back from the body when I realize the dead woman lying there is me.

     A cloaked figure suddenly appears over the carcass, and a thick pale hand pulls back the hood. A snarling face emerges from within the cloak, its massive paw slowly stepping forward. Saliva drips down its bared teeth, and a terrifying growl rumbles from deep within the creature. Its eyes are intense, feral.

     It lunges toward me.

     I awaken with a gasp. My body is drenched in a cold sweat. Realizing I'm still in the pale, curtained room, dimly lit by a hovering lap, my heart rate relaxes a bit.

     "Bad dream?" I hear my father ask, holding out a plastic cup of water.

     I simply nod and reach for the cup, my tongue feeling dried out with dehydration. I take long gulps of water in an attempt to ease the veil of panic that has overcome me. The nightmare is still fresh in my mind. My father gives me a soothing smile, chuckling at how quickly I gulp the water.

     "I'll go get Xander" he says, making me tilt my head with confusion.

     "You must have questions only he'd only be capable of answering."

     I watch as he silently gets up and exits through the parted curtain, not allowing me to question him and still not catching on to what he means. What could the man possibly know and have answers for that my father wouldn't?

     Running my fingers through my hair with frustration, I lean back against my pillow. A soft groan leaving my lips as the small tinge of pain permeates my temples. Having enough of sitting and waiting, I rip the blankets off, get up from the gurney, and approach the curtain. My legs crave to be stretched as the muscles tighten up.

     I pull back the curtain and step out. The pale room is filled with empty beds and the heavy smell of disinfectant in the air. I quickly locate the restroom at the end of the hall, away from the infirmary, the dull light bulbs illuminating the hall.

     Locking the door behind me, I take note of the window by the toilet, the sunlight peeking through and pushing me to take a peek outside. With the toilet seat down, I step on it, the slippery white socks on my feet making it harder for me to steady myself. On my tippy-toes, I strain to take a look outside, my vision struggling to focus on the view. My shoulders slump at the empty field, where the bright green grass lifted in some places and the thick forest vegetation surrounding the entire landscape.

     The scenery is different from my small town. The atmosphere has shifted completely. The air is lightweight and clean, and the forest vegetation I had noted before remains the same, contrasting with the wooden area back at home.

     What is this place?

     Having seen enough, I step down and quickly make my way back to my infirmary station before the others note my absence. I hadn't noticed the small cup with ibuprofen on a table by my gurney. As the headache intensifies from my movement, I fill a cup with water and swallow the pills, then lean against my pillow.

     The two enter the room quickly, making me sit up and take in the familiar presence. A tingling sensation runs along my skin as I meet the onyx gaze. His eyes travel down my face, taking in my features carefully, making me blush at how intimate the gesture feels. My father sits down on the chair in the corner, allowing Xander to sit next to my bedside.