With a nod, Bellamy lowers his voice, stepping closer to be heard. "He's a reaper."

"What the fuck?" Ethan plants his feet on the ground like he's afraid he might fall over from the news, "How?"

"We're not sure." Bellamy looks over his head to see Clarke, "Come on."

Clarke moves to walk away, following the crowd that's parting but flinches when Bellamy tugs her back. "Where have you been?" She asks, brows knitted.

Bellamy repeats the same rushed conversation as seconds ago, with an added: "Meet me at Raven's gate." Before he parts ways.

Ethan heads for the Ark. He manages to get all the way to the room, grab his bag, and get out of there before his eyes lock onto Lorelai standing outside on the grass. She looks right at him, her arms crossed.

He attempts to turn around and walk the other way but stops in his tracks then too.

Because Michael's also there.

"Ah, fuck."

He'd like to know how they're so coordinated.

Clarke stops beside him, easing his worries a little. She's familiar. She's safe.

"You ready?" She sees the clench of Ethan's jaw, follows his narrowed eyes to the guy across the courtyard. She catalogues his appearance. This must be the guard he was talking about.

Ethan tightens his hold around the strap of his bag. "I was." 

He glances over his shoulder and Clarke follows his gaze to see Lorelai.

Abruptly, Clarke follows Ethan in clenching her jaw. "She can't keep a leash on you like this."

"Yeah," He tightens the hold on his bag straps, "I'm working on it."

They watch Lorelai stomp across the clearing towards them and hurry their conversation. "Can you sneak out?" She asks, glancing at his tense face.

"Last time I tried I was cuffed to a bunk bed." Ethan exhales through his nose. Clarke's troubled eyes swing his way and she opens her mouth but Ethan knows and there's nothing he can do when it's his mother making the decisions. "Update me, alright?"

"Yeah," Clarke lets out a controlled breath, "When we get back, tell me everything. About them."

Ethan shakes his head a little, "Clarke, it's not that serious-"

Her glare hardens, a no-nonsense look. 

"Fine." He rolls his eyes.

Their shared gaze is swiftly interrupted by the visit of Lorelai, her palm already held out expectantly. "Ethan. Pass me the bag. You are not leaving until the threat of the grounders is gone, you hear me?" She snaps.

Ethan rolls his tongue against the back of his teeth, "Just saying bye, Mum." He drops a hand on Clarke's shoulder and squeezes, "Stay safe."

She nods, slipping a rectangular device into his jacket pocket. A walkie-talkie. Sending a glare towards his mother, Clarke turns around and leaves.

Ethan watches her go with a sinking feeling. He desperately wants things to go back to normal, back to before the Ark landed and it sounded so selfish. Having Lorelai here was supposed to make him happy. Not conflicted.

He hates being out of the loop, and it's all because of her.

Lorelai still has her hand out despite the disappearance of Clarke. Ethan grinds his teeth but keeps a straight face, dragging the bag off of his shoulders and dropping it into her hand.