PROLOGUE

Word count:341

Living in Shadyside is bad enough

Living in Shadyside is bad enough. But when your brother killed 12 people when you were barely even 1, your life is already set up for a great big downfall.

On July 19th. 1978. Just 3 months before my first birthday, my brother went 'crazy' and killed 12 people, his girlfriend included. All Shadysider's. My mother went into a frenzy of drinking and smoking and my father just shut down. We were now the laughingstocks of Shadyside. My brother was amazing, kind, sweet, funny. That's what Ziggy said. As I began to grow older, Ziggy, the sister of my brother's girlfriend, began to have me over more. She was terrified of my brother, but she knew that I wanted to know who he was, how he was. Before he 'went crazy'.

After a while, I moved in with Ziggy. My parents couldn't handle the shame of Shadyside anymore, the shame of my brother, and ran away. Honestly now, after everything that just happened, I really can't blame them. I used to wish they would've just taken me with them instead of just leaving me with Ziggy for what she thought was going to be a weekend. But was really them giving me up. After living with Ziggy, I would see Nick Goode a lot, him coming over a lot when I was younger, but now I only ever see him at games. It was like losing another father figure.

Ziggy wasn't exactly strict with me, she'd let my friends come over, or friend singular. She never let more than one over at a time. Though I didn't even have many friends till I was 13, first Heather, then Deena, then Simon and Kate. Heather had lived right next to me and Zig, who moved closer to the Shadyside school so I didn't have to walk super far. I even worked with Heather, against my guardian's wishes of course. She had bought me a car so I could get a job and everything. But she didn't expect me to ever work there.