Chapter 20

Chapter 20 – Death Day and declaration of love

Police sirens sounded out over the whole neighbourhood, colouring it in fluorescent red and blue.

"Raven Maestri, announced dead at 11:47pm on Thursday 16th December, we know she suffered from poisoning via a liquid although that was not the cause of her death, cause of death: murder, murder weapon has not been found." The monotone voice of the sleepy officer rung through the ears of the Maestri brothers.

"We'll take her to the hospital, run an autopsy try to figure out what the murder weapon was, see if there's any fingertips or any other kind of evidence we can use to trace back to the murderer." A paramedic spoke to them.

They all nodded their heads numbly not exactly processing what they were being told.

The news of the death of their baby sister had hit them all right in the heart like a sharp spear, breaking them apart. More tears had never fallen in such a stern and cold-hearted family.

They all sat in the hospital room, heads in their hands at the news that all evidence had been retrieved but it was still an ongoing investigation however with no visible leads.

Walking into the morgue, Luca rested his hands on the table looking at the white cloth over his sister's dead body. The urge to just shake her body and try to bring her back to life shook through him in radioactive waves. He dampened the feeling down and with shaking hands pulled the white cover back from her pale face.

He inspected every feature of his baby sister's face for the last time under the bright light then slowly placed the cover back over her face, tears welling in his eyes.

He ran out of the room, leaving the cold corpse behind.

Dean's POV

I hung up on the call.

My head was spinning, and my thoughts were everywhere.

I hadn't expected news like this when Jaxon had called me. I grabbed my keys and ran out to my car, slamming the door shut and speeding off to the hospital. I walked in through the entrance, and saw her family gathered round the corner to the left.

I saw the sign leading to the morgue on the right and turned the corner.

I discreetly, made my way to the lifts, pressing the basement button. I walked down the length of the corridor, to the end, and looked at the metal doors labelled "morgue" and in graffiti "BEWARE! Dead people beyond."

I pushed the door open the smell of rot filling my nostrils, making me gag. I saw a body lying on one of the tables, the with cloth slightly off its face, enough so I could see Raven's hair and a portion of her face.

I walked up to her body, pulling the cloth back to see her lifeless face. I caressed her face gently, with the palm of my hand, memorising her features for the last time.

Her long lashes, that lay on her now waxy skin, the skin that was once so soft and so full of life. I longed for those lashes to flutter open so I could stare into her light brown eyes, those swirling abysses of caramel chocolate. Her full lips and her slightly chubby cheeks. To the perfect curve of her nose.

I touched every part of her beautiful face, tracing lines across it. Down from her forehead, over the dips of her eyes and the curve of her button nose. As I went down her nose, I felt something odd. I retraced my lines, feeling the odd bump at the top of her nose, that wasn't there before.

It must have happened to her during the murder. I was so angry at the person who dared to touch her and hurt her so bad that she... I couldn't bring myself to think it let alone believe it.