Book 2 - Chapter 24

Kami screamed when the sprinklers went off, as did all the other girls who sat at the table. Not that Elliot paid much attention to the other girls, and he really couldn't have cared less about what the guys were doing. But he found the fact that she screamed to be amusing and before he could control it, a smile spread across his face.

Elliot was so distracted by his amusement that he barely noticed the Witch walk past him with the herd of students who fled to escape the wet.

The people at his table all scrambled to collect their belongings before they too made their way towards the door.

With an irritated grumble, he grabbed hold of Kami, who had just started following the others. She froze when he placed his hand on her arm, and her head shot around to stare at him, her mouth open as though she was surprised. "The building's on fire!" she yelled, attempting to pull away from him . . . or perhaps she was trying to pull him with her.

He couldn't be sure what she was attempting to accomplish. Either way, he gripped her tighter. "Just wait a minute," he said. And with a quick energy projection he stopped the artificial rainfall.

"I saw some kid pull the alarm," he said with a smile as he let go of her arm. "Probably trying to break up the fight." Elliot let his eyes wander in the direction of the fighting students. A devious smile formed on his lips as he saw that not only was it still going, but the infection had spread. He turned back to Kami. "Apparently the idiots didn't know that angry people don't give a fuck about—"

His sentence was cut off by the sound of an explosion, followed by the shrill ringing of the fire alarm.

Curiously, he turned his head in the direction of the door, and saw that black smoke was forcing its way through the crack at the bottom. He scowled, knowing that the fire had something to do with the Witch and the Vampire. They knew he wasn't human and they were—literally—trying to smoke him out.

Kami screamed again, and this time the sound of her voice irritated him.

Elliot got to his feet so quickly he knocked over his lunch. Usually an action like that would have been something people would notice and mock, however, everyone else at the table—and most of the people who had been in the cafeteria—were already gone.

With an irate grumble, he grabbed onto Kami's arm and pulled her from the cafeteria. Releasing the twenty or so fighting people from his spell, after taking a moment to consider whether or not he would let them burn out of spite for the Witch.

The fighting stopped suddenly, and those involved seemed to be dazed for a moment, before they noticed the smoke and ran for the exit, pausing to help those who were more severely injured.

Elliot rolled his eyes at their pointless actions. He, personally, didn't see the point in helping others . . . what was the point in living your life being good for the sake of other people? When it came to life you were better off living for yourself.

What was the point in wasting your time caring?

Didn't the idiots realise that everyone dies in the end?

He and Kami were some of the last to evacuate the cafeteria. They came out into the fresh air, and Kami immediately started to shiver. He smiled at her, then sighed once again at his own inconsistencies.

It always happened when she was around; one minute he found her endearing to the point that it caused him physical pain and the next he found her presence to be so irritating he wanted to cause her physical pain. The back and forth that she caused was starting to wear on his nerves and once again, he considered the thought of simply killing her to take her out of the equation.

"It's freezing out here!" she declared, wrapping her arms around herself as though that would keep her warm.

The obviousness of her statement caused Elliot to roll his eyes. "What do you expect? It's November and we're soaked."

If she was bothered by his sarcasm she didn't let it show. Instead she continued as if he hadn't said a word. "I wonder where Madison is." She stood on her toes in an attempt to see over the crowd of people.

"Who cares?"

She sighed and turned her head in his direction. With any other person the sigh would have indicated that they were about to glare, but when Kami turned her head to him she was smiling. "I care," she said simply. "I want to make sure everyone's okay."

Elliot let a sigh, something Kami caused him to do quite frequently. Locating the group was simple due to the fact that one of the members possessed magical blood. "There," he said, pointing straight ahead where the students who shared his table stood.

Kami stood on her toes and leaned to the side, following his finger to the group. She smiled then started to walk towards them. Elliot wrapped his arm around her waist to pull her back. "What?" she asked, looking at him curiously. "You don't want to go?"

Elliot gazed at the group of students with a cold disinterest. Usually he wouldn't care one way or the other, but the Witch and the Vampire were still unaccounted for. They had staged the fire to get him outside and he didn't feel like waiting around for them to find him.

He smiled, using his head to indicate towards the parking lot. "Let's go."

She turned to face him, laughing. "Go where?"

He shrugged. "I don't know where exactly, but what I do know is that I'm soaked, you're soaked, and it's cold outside. Do you know what that says to me?"

He gathered, from the coy smile she gave him that she knew what it said to him, but she didn't say as much. Instead she moved towards him, gazing at him from under her eyelashes. "What does that say to you?"

"That we should go somewhere more private where we can get ourselves out of these clothes."

Witha smile, Kami walked past him towards where his car was parked. Elliot followedher quickly, not pausing to look when he sensed the Vampire walk out of thebuilding.