Book 2 - Chapter 5

Jamie followed Sam's bloody footprints down the hallway, towards the kitchen and out the back door, where they disappeared on the grass. He sighed, closed his eyes, inhaled deeply and blocked out everything except for the scent he was trying to focus on.

Sam's scent.

Or more specifically the scent of her blood.

His senses were flooded with the overwhelming aroma.

As a Vampire, Jamie found the scent of blood to be intoxicating; usually it brought about an uncontrollable urge to devour whatever human the scent was coming from. Though with Sam it was different, it was like her blood didn't register as blood in his mind.

The scent of Sam's blood was simply the scent of Sam. So when he inhaled the fragrance that her blood produced, he saw a clear picture of her in his mind. Wandering through the woods, wearing the same clothes she had been wearing the last time he saw her, only this time he saw it stained with her blood. She seemed to be in a dazed state, wandering blindly between the trees, her feet barely touching the ground.

With his eyes kept shut, Jamie followed in the footsteps he pictured Sam taking. Feeling as though he were connected to her by something unseen.

After countless moments of wandering, Jamie lost the image. He opened his eyes and looked around, trying to gauge his location. He recognised the path he was on. It was the same one he and Sam had walked down before, in a time that felt like decades ago despite that fact that only a week had passed. She was on her way to the cliffs she had taken Jamie to see.

Without a second of hesitation, Jamie started to run, forcing his legs to carry him as quickly as was possible to where he knew he would find Sam.

Stones flicked over the side of the cliff as he skidded to a stop just inches from the edge. With a breathless feeling piercing through his chest, he turned, his eyes darting frantically from left to right as he scanned the area for any sign of her.

He felt his heart drop as he realised that shewas nowhere to be seen. It didn't make sense; Jamie was sure that this was where she was heading. So with a resigned sighhe dropped to his knees and sat in the overgrown grass, waiting for her toarrive.