Chapter 3

Warning: Mature Content
Viewer Discretion is Advised

Percy glanced down at his clothes and shrugged. "Honestly, do I really need anything? All I have are these clothes, and I already have my sword." He patted his pocket, indicating that he had his magic pen.

Slade nodded, then leaned against a wall. "That may be true, but I can't very well have you go out on a job looking like a bum. I'm a professional, and professionals have standards." He turned and motioned for Percy to follow. "I have prototype armor I keep for potential candidates. I'm sure you'll find something you like, we can have a full suit tailored to you after the job. I want to see if you have what it takes."

Percy followed him around a corner to a door he hadn't yet seen. "What do you mean? We sparred earlier, didn't we?" Deathstroke grunted and opened the door, revealing yet another armory. Instead of just weapons, however, there were glass cases with full body armor suits, suits that looked very high tech. He walked up to one and saw it was sleek, the body armor done in a way that made it look like it was made out of black scales. "I had to hold back, you were injured, and I made a deal not to kill you. I wanted to test the full range of your capabilities, see if you were worth taking on. You still impressed me, boy. Even in a bad state, you showed some of the best sword fighting I have ever seen. I can't wait until you're fully healed to see what you're truly capable of with that blade."

Percy was browsing the body armor, astonished that they seemed so compact and lightweight. "Might not have to wait that long," he absentmindedly muttered as he turned and saw some armor that caught his eye. It was a black with dark blue running down the sides, the joints made out of a mesh material for more maneuverability. The arms had dark blue accents from the fingers all the way up to the shoulder, and the mask was simple, yet he somehow figured it probably held more secrets then it let on. It was a black domino mask that just covered the eyes, but he could see places where wiring went to the slightly tinted eyepieces. He figured that it must've been some display system, though he had no idea how something like that would work.

"What do you mean 'not that long?' Do you have a healing factor?" Deathstroke inquired, noticing Percy taking a liking to the body armor he was currently in front of. Percy turned around with a look of confusion on his face. "Huh? Oh, not that I'm aware of. I just feel better after that nap I took, that's all." Percy knew he didn't remember much, but he had as much common sense to keep his cards close. Whatever he could do, and he wanted to figure that out anyways, he knew he had to figure it out on his own. He also had figured saying 'water heals me' would just sound weird. Deathstroke didn't press the issue, however, and opted to walk up to the glass case and press the button on the side, causing the glass door to swing open.

"Try it on. The changing room is in the back." Percy reached out a tentative hand and touched the armor. To his surprise, it felt soft. He looked back at Slade with a raised eyebrow. "This is body armor? It doesn't feel like it'll stop a bullet." He turned back around and took the suit off the mannequin it was on, surprised by the lightness it displayed. "It's nanotechnology in-lined with promethium infused with Nyth metal. Lightweight, soft, and very durable. Trust me kid, this will stop a lot more than bullets. Only the sharpest of blades, magic and high caliber explosions can fully penetrate the suit."

Percy stared at the chest, where there was a blank circle over the heart. "This suit sounds invincible, that's pretty neat, not going to lie." He turned and walked to the changing room. "Hey kid," Slade called out. Percy stopped and turned around. "Just remember, it's not the suit, weapon or powers that makes the man. Keep that in mind, no matter how tough a suit may seem, there's always someone out there who can make that irrelevant." Percy nodded and Slade walked over to the door. "Meet me in the flight hangar when you're dressed." He didn't even wait for Percy to respond, he just walked out the door and closed it behind him.