The Real Reason?

The sound of machines running and strange beeping echoed in his ears.

A strange liquid bubbled around him and he could feel his whole body tensing, just waiting for the opportunity to jump as soon as he got out.

He could hear the sound of paper flipping over and over like someone was going through paperwork.

'The doctor . . . . .. . . . Henrik'

He squinted his eyes open just barely only to prove himself right.

'Always looking through his research . . . . .'

He listened to the scratching of the pen on paper.

'He's making . . . adjustments'

They didn't know he was awake. Didn't know he could feel every prick and prod. Every time they tried to 'fix' his mind. His personality.

It hurt. Made him spasm. . . . . But also . . . maybe it felt a little good. The pain. Made him feel more . . . . alive. Like he was more than a toy in a glass tank.

What did that word even mean, though? Alive?

He didn't want them to know. What would they do to him, then? Stop the project? End his existence? Sean could destroy him at any time he wanted right now. He wasn't 'finished' just yet. Just a little more, though.

He could see memories that weren't his. Flashes. He knew who they were from, though. Every time he saw the bastard's smile, he wanted to scratch it off.

Sometimes he'd see him in person, not that Sean knew that. Anti was very good at pretending to be something he wasn't.

He knew what he really was.

A monster. A science lab experiment.

The others would come down to visit Henrik any chance they got if they thought the doctor was overworking himself. Every time they did, Anti knew they'd stare at his tank. Look at him strangely.

Anti knew what they all thought of him.

He could hear some of their voices.

"Are you sure this is a good idea?" the man named Chase was unsure yet curious.

"What's the point of this thing again? Why do we need it?" Marvin had asked impatiently.

"Sean says he's gonna be our new ego brother. Doesn't feel right to me. Why can't Sean just make another ego like he did with us?" Jackie was . . . . rude.

"Don't worry. I don't think it'll last long." Henrik had said once before, "Sean keeps making me make adjustments for it. It'll never see daylight at this rate. I think he's slowly giving up on it, anyway. After the fights him and Wiishu have, he's been depressed lately. Acting happy"

Anti didn't know what any of it really meant but he had remembered through Sean's memories. This Wiishu. Anti wasn't ignorant, though. He knew toxic when he heard it. Something told him then his time was coming soon.

He had to get out before Sean got rid of him.

'They'll all pay for this . . . . I'll end every last one of them just as they want to do to me.'

All the blood.

The cold.

The screams and begging.

The dripping of blood over his body and the floor.

It was so beautiful to him at the time.

Anti jolted in his bed, suddenly sitting up.