twenty two

Twenty Two

"We're back," Ashton called out as we entered the house, Calum and I carrying Squiggles still.

"That thing is huge," Sierra laughed when she saw the giant octopus.

"His name is Squiggles," I smiled. "Calum and I named him,"

"So you had fun?" Luke questioned and I nodded.

"A lot of fun," I confirmed and they smiled.

"Thanks for taking her out," Sierra thanked them.

"Anytime, she already ate dinner and had a milkshake," Calum told them and they nodded.

"See you later, Carter," Ashton gave me a hug.

"Bye Ash, bye Calum," I gave them each a hug. They left with a smile, also leaving Squiggles behind for me.

"I'm glad you had a good day," Luke gave me a side hug, but I could easily tell something was wrong. They don't hide things well, plus I was getting to know them more.

"What's wrong?" I asked, seeing their moods were off.

"I know you had a great day, but I think we need to talk, and it's going to ruin your day," Luke told me and I nodded. We all sat on the couch and Luke hugged me tightly.

"We called Grace's family early and they decided to lose contact with us so Grace could move on," Sierra told me as she held one of my hands.

"What?" I asked, sitting up.

"We're so sorry Carter, we tried to talk to them but they blocked our number," Luke explained.

I felt tears start to fill my eyes, "But can't we go to North Dakota and talk to them? We can convince them and they'll let me still talk to grace,"

"Baby, I know it's hard," Sierra squeezed my hand lightly as more tears fell down, "and it's ok to be sad, but it's time to move on from them. It's going to be hard, but we'll be right here for you, and you have so many friends now to help you as well," I didn't say anything, just felt broken. I cried as they held me tightly, just being there for me. There wasn't anything they could say to make this better, and they knew that. Instead, they just let me cry and get out all my emotions.

"Why doesn't she want to see me?" I sobbed.

"Her Uncle said that they all agreed to not have her look back at her past anymore and instead move forward and put it all behind her," Luke told me.

"But she was my best friend,"

"I know, but you can make new friends. It's not the same, but sometimes we lose friends and make new ones, and you have made so many friends," Sierra reminded me.

"Maybe you can have some of them over one day," Luke said, "and you can join some sports or clubs to make more friends," I didn't respond, just laid against him upset. We all watched a movie, then around nine I took a melatonin and by ten I was fast asleep for the evening.