one

One

"Female, 15, brought in on ambulance with her younger sister" a nurse said, "swollen wrist, cut on shoulder,"

"Hi sweetheart, I'm Dr. Hemmings, but you can call me Luke," I introduced myself, "what's your name?"

"Grace,"

"Can I see your wrist, Grace?" she held out her arm as I looked at it. "What happened?"

"Where is Carter?" she presented a different question.

"Your sister?" I asked and she nodded, "I'm not sure," I admitted, "I can ask around, but first we need to get you situated," Grace nodded as I put down her arm, then went and checked her cut on her shoulder. "Can you tell me what happened?" I questioned, luckily realizing she didn't need any stitches.

"My foster mom got mad at my sister, and I tried to stop her," Grace vaguely answered. "Is she here?"

"Your foster mom?"

"Yeah,"

"No, absolutely not," I shook my head. "We're going to have to get you Xrays, I'll have a nurse bring you over," I said and Grace nodded.

"Can I see my sister first?"

"I can go ask around and see where she is," I offered and Grace agreed. I called a nurse back in to bring Grace to radiology. Once they left, I went around and ran into Calum.

"Do you know if there's a patient Carter here?" I asked. "Younger than fifteen, has an older sister,"

"I think she's Sierra's patient actually," Calum said, "ironically you two got the sisters,"

"What room?"

"Can't go in right now," Calum told me, "Michael went in to give her stitches or staples, not sure which," Calum explained and I nodded, "but same floor, room 17,"

"Alright, thanks," I said. Eventually the X Rays came back, showing there was a clear break in the wrist, "We're going to get you a cast, is there a color you want?"

"Blue's fine," Grace shrugged and I nodded.

"I'm going to call my friend Calum in to get that cast on,"

"When can I see my sister?"

"I'm not quite sure," I admitted, which worried Grace. "Hey don't worry, she's in good hands. My wife is her doctor,"

"She is?"

"Yeah, she'll be just fine,"

"She was really hurt when I saw her last,"

"Do you want to talk about it?" I asked, and I knew she wanted to. It was obvious she never talked about anything, and this was her chance to get all her frustrations off her chest.

"I don't really know what happened, I got home from practice and my mom and Carter were arguing and Carter looked really beat up. Then she passed out and I called 911, then tried to stop her from hurting Carter more,"

"Everything's going to be ok," I reassured her, "and once you can see her I'll take you over,"

"She just never stops picking fights," Grace mumbled, "she knows that our foster mom hates that, and she continuously pushes that,"

"Maybe she had a good reason,"

"She never does," Grace admitted. Before I could say anything else, the door opened and Calum came in.

"Hi Grace, I'm Calum, I'll be putting on your cast," he introduced himself. Grace nodded and I continued to fill out paperwork for Grace, just hoping her sister was alright.