fifteen

Fifteen

Luke

Like Ashton told me, I went to check on Carter overnight. Tomorrow she started her medication, and I was already worried about the symptoms she was going to have, so I really wanted her to have a goodnight's sleep. When I opened the door, Carter was laying in bed with Petunia pushed against her. At first I believed she was asleep, until I saw Petunia pawing at her, wanting to be pet. That was when I knew she hadn't been sleeping, but just petting Petunia. "You're awake," I spoke, making her sit up and sigh.

"I am,"

"Need help sleeping?" I asked and she nodded.

"I tried everything, it won't work," she mumbled. "I want Sierra,"

"Alright, I think she's still awake," I said. Carter got up and we left with Petunia following. We went into mine and Sierra's room, and luckily Sierra was still up, about to go to bed.

"Can't sleep sweet girl?" she asked as Carter got in the bed followed by Petunia then me.

"No," Carter muttered and laid close to Sierra. "Can you rub my tummy please?"

"Of course," Sierra smiled lightly. She did as Carter asked and surprisingly, Carter was asleep within five minutes. "Well that worked," Sierra chuckled quietly.

"Yeah, I did not expect that,"

"It's also because she has a presence around her," Sierra added. "She doesn't like to be alone, and I don't blame her,"

"I'm glad she's trusting us a little bit more," I quietly said and Sierra nodded. Shortly after Carter fell asleep, we both fell asleep. The next morning I woke up first. Carter was now on her stomach making me smile. I kissed her cheek softly and gave Sierra a kiss on her forehead before heading downstairs. Once I was downstairs, I began to make breakfast for us. I made some pancakes and let Petunia out, then Carter came downstairs. She had a blanket wrapped around her shoulders and looked tired, but less tired than normal.

"Good morning Carter," I grinned. She mumbled a 'morning' and sat down at the island. I finished making some pancakes, then put a plate of pancakes in front of her. I gave her the syrup, butter, and fruit, then went upstairs where Sierra was getting ready a little bit. "Breakfast is all ready," I kissed her cheek and she lightly smiled.

"Thank you," she thanked me. "Did Carter head down?"

"Yeah, she's eating,"

"She woke up in a good mood," Sierra told me and I agreed. She finished washing her face, then we walked downstairs where Carter was still eating. We joined her and began to eat.

"What would you like to do today?" Sierra asked Carter who shrugged. "Would you like to go to the pier and get ice cream?"

"Sure," she agreed.

"Would you like to meet some of our friends?" Luke asked. "You don't have to, but they are very nice and would like to meet you,"

"Sure," Carter nodded nervously.

"They're going to love you," I reassured her and she nodded. Once we were done with breakfast, Sierra offered to clean up while Carter and I got ready. I quickly got ready, then scrolled through instagram. As I scrolled, I heard soft sobs from Carter's room. I got up and went to her room, knocking on the door, "Carter, you ok?" I questioned. THe door opened and revealed Carter wearing some clothes we got her yesterday, which was a pair of denim shorts and a long sleeve crop top. "You look beautiful," I smiled at her, but she shook her head as tears fell down her face.

"I put on a tank top and looked bad," she cried and buried her face into my shirt. I hugged her tightly realizing her cuts made her feel horrible. "And now I look bad cause of my stomach bruises,"

"No, Carter, you don't look bad," I promised her. "You're hurt, that's it. The cuts, scars, and bruises don't define you or make you look any less beautiful than you are," I wanted nothing more than to show her how beautiful she is, and that's exactly what I did. I led her to her room and sat down on her bed with her, then grabbed the notebook that we got her yesterday. "What is something you like about yourself?" she didn't respond, so I started. "I love your smile," I said and wrote it down.

"I like my hair," she mumbled as she leaned against me and watched me write things down. I smiled and wrote that down.

"I like your laugh," I wrote that down, "because your laugh is contagious,"

"No it's not," she mumbled.

"Yes it is,"

"I like my eyelashes," she shrugged and I wrote that down.

"What are you two up to?" Sierra asked as she came in.

"We're making a list of everything that is beautiful about Carter," I answered as Carter looked down.

"I love her eyes," Sierra said and sat down on the bed across from us. "Because she has beautiful blue eyes," Carter lightly smiled and picked at her nail. We listed a lot more things, then I ripped out the page and taped it to her mirror. "I know that you feel insecure, we all do, but anytime you feel down read through this list. Everything we said is true on there,"

"You're beautiful no matter what, and anytime you have any doubts about that we will make sure you feel beautiful," I said and she nodded with a small smile.

"I still want to get rid of the scars," she muttered as her smile fell.

"We can, we'll get you cream to put on them," I told her, "it'll help,"

"Speaking of which, we need to replace the gauze," Sierra reminded her and she nodded, for once not putting up any fight.