Chapter Twenty Seven: The Visitor (Under Edit)

Start from the beginning

Márafea glared at her, "Mind who you are speaking to, girl!"

"A female Ranger? I thought they had been banned," said Thranduil.

"That did not stop my father from teaching me the ways, in secret. That I may better protect my people when our menfolk were away, and I am not the only one. Now do you have the seal?" demanded the young woman.

"Another charming young Dúnadan, I see," muttered Thranduil.

"Who are you to make such a demand?" asked Márafea.

"King Thranduil, Queen Márafea, may I introduce," said Elladan. But the young woman stopped him.

"I can introduce myself, I am called Haleth, daughter of Halben, after the Haleth of the old tales. My father's one and only. I come as Wardress of Dolenbar seeking aid for my people. We are under constant attack from Outlaws and the Dunlendings, who have joined them. Five villages have been destroyed so far, the survivors tell of much cruelty and some say a sorcerer leads them. If you are truly King Elessar's emissary, I beg you to petition him to summon an army to aid us. We sent word to him to help us and yet no answer has come," said Haleth.

"And King Elessar has answered, we are here to help," said Thranduil.

"And I am more than an emissary. I am Vice Regent, my husband Co-Regent, and you will show the proper respect!" Márafea replied angrily. Lamps flickered around the room, then she felt Thranduil's hand on hers, "Thorwen," he whispered and she came back to herself again. Haleth looked at Márafea, her eyes showed no fear.

"Apologies Haleth, the hour is late, perhaps this conversation should be continued in the morning. Yes, I have the seal, I will bring it to you in the morning. Please, take some rest after your long journey. Butterbur will find space for you and do not concern yourself with the coin. We will talk over breakfast," said Márafea.

-------------------------------------------

Haleth stepped out into the stable yard as some of the Knights were training in the space. They stopped, eyeing her suspiciously. "We heard a 'Female Ranger' had come in the night, fancy it being you of all people," said one.

"You look surprised Landor, I am the daughter of a Lord, descendant of the Stewards of Annúminas. Did you not think he might teach me the ways?" said Haleth defiantly.

"Have you told them of your brother yet?" asked Landor.

"I have no brother.......he is dead to me," replied Haleth bitterly.

"Yeah, and what will Borion say when he sees you dressed like that?" asked Landor.

"I have not seen him since he went with Halbarad to the south. I know not if he is alive or dead," replied Haleth.

"Haleth?" said a voice behind her.

Haleth turned to see Borion and Gurunam standing behind her, she had rehearsed this moment in her mind, over and over. Yet when it came, all she could say was, "Father has been taken," before she collapsed into Borion's arms, weeping. "I thought you dead."

"I nearly was," Borion replied.

"Things have got much worse, so when we got word the King's Regent had come to Bree, I took to my horse," said Haleth.

"How was Lord Halben taken?" asked Gurunam.

"He got word from Haldar, said he wanted to repent. I begged my father not to go, but he would not listen, Haldar was his son. Then Father was ambushed and taken captive," said Haleth.

"Haldar was my best friend, how could he betray his own father. You must tell Queen Márafea when you next speak with her," said Gurunam.

"I told her, I was my father's one and only," said Haleth.