Copper Pennies

*2 weeks later, The first day of spring break*

I had been denying this moment for months now. I'd told myself it was further away then it really was and now I was completely unprepared for this moment.

I laid on my back, clothes strewn all around me and my suitcase lying face down on the floor. Madi had left over an hour ago. Her parents had picked her up in a black charger and and greeted her with hugs and smiling faces. Her half of the room was practically empty.

My bus was to be here in two hours and with nothing packed I was dreading the moment.

The soft sound of intro by the xx hummed in the background and I spaced out trying to disconnect from the day. I was interrupted, however by a hard knock on the door and with the slightest bit of annoyance I opened it, expecting to see my counselor, questioning why I was still on campus and not yet out of his presence.

Instead I saw Shawn. He was rocking up and down on his heels and shaking anxiously. His Hazel eyes met mine and he sighed. "Meredith, thank god." For a moment I was flattered, he was in fact for some strange reason happy to see me. "What the hell is it Shawn"? I was irritated at him for waking me from my peaceful state as well as showing up at my door like nothing had happened after not texting me for two weeks.

I didn't like drama but shawn sure seemed to contain a hell lot of it.

"I'm sorry Mere it's just that I kind of need a favor-

"Why the hell would I help you Shawn? You're a complete idiot!" The words tasted strange and metallic coming from my mouth, like copper pennies. I was thankful that most everyone had already left their dorms and I couldn't cause a scene.

"Meredith please it's important." There were tears brimming his eyes and I sighed in defeat, setting down my metaphorical armor and signaling him to continue. "I- I- I have to go b- b-ack this spring break a-and I need someone to come with me, because if I go by my-myself I'm a- afraid I might not come back."

I knew what he meant when he said not coming back. I'd been there before, the moment after the high of sneaking out and realizing I'd have to go back, the feeling of standing on your own front porch after spending the night at a friends house and watching how amazing and kind their parents were. The sudden realization that after tasting a little bit of heaven you'd have to go back to hell.

He wasn't sure if he'd be able to keep himself alive.

He stared at the marble floors, digging his nails into his palms and sniffing periodically. I stood speechless for a moment until finally I hive in and wrap my arms around his waist, burying my head in his neck. He hugged me back tightly and I whispered slowly, barely audible, "Of course I'll do you a favor."

****
Thank you sooo soooo much for reading.

Please go follow me on Instagram
@/sadisticmendes

I hope you guys liked it, make sure and comment, like, and follow.

Gracias <<<that's thanks in Spanish right?