Chapter 18

Taehyung cranes his neck to search for Maya but could not find her in the lounge room of the clinic. He searched the other rooms she is usually in but to no avail. He headed to the kitchen, and saw Hani sitting with Soomin at the small table near to the connecting door.

"Hani, have you seen Maya?"

"She is unwell", Hani puts her sandwich down, wiping the sides of her mouth with a small tissue. "She is..."

"She is not well?" Taehyung's eyes widened. "Is she in pain?"

Soomin looks pretty amused as she watches the face of her Alpha twitching, his eyes filled with alert and concern. "She is sleeping in the resting room"

"Is she in pain?", he asked again, his eyes shifting from Hani to Soomin. "Is she okay?"

Hani tilts her head, smiling widely as she shakes her head. "Dear Alpha, you look very worried"

"Hani", Taehyung narrows his eyes at her, looking slightly annoyed at the teasing tone in her voice. "Am I allowed to go and see her?"

"Never disturb a woman when she is having period pain, my Alpha", Soomin chuckles at the side, biting into her sweet bean bun. "But, then, I am in no position to stop you"

Hani studies his face, spotting a genuine look of concern taking over his features as he stands there, looking as if he would flip the world if he could take the pain away from her best friend. She understands. Truly.

"Taehyung, Maya is unwell and she is sleeping. She couldn't even stand just now. But rest assured, she just need to sleep and rest"

"What can I do for her?"

Soomin looks up from her plate, exchanging a look with Hani. A look that seems to say "oh look at this sweet alpha worried for his mate". Hani shakes her head, pushes her chair towards the table and gestures to Taehyung to follow her.

"I know what you can do"

"I will do anything"

"You are going to brew some fresh herbal tea, and bring it to her"

-

Taehyung made sure to place the wooden tray as slowly and as silently as possible on the bed side table. When he had walked into the room, the heavy scent of Maya hit him like a sudden gush of strong wind, almost making him lose his grip on the tray. Hani did warn him to check on his wolf and had also asked him twice if he is strong enough to keep himself calm.

That does not matter anymore. All he can think of right now is to look after his mate. He wants to do something so that Maya can feel better.

Oh god, if he could take her pain away, he would have done it.

He spots her sleeping on the sofa instead and he frowns, wondering why she is not on the comfortable bed. He heads straight to her, heart making a thousand leaps underneath his skin as the scent gets stronger and stronger it begins to suffocate him. But when he sees her face, so calm as she sleeps, strands of loose hair covering her face, his heart softens.

He kneels down beside the sofa, fixing the blanket for her with such careful movements. But then she stirs awake, and he mentally curses at himself for being the reason she had woken up. He should have known her senses are sharp, and of course she would have sensed movements around her.

He sighs, pulling his hands away. "I am sorry I woke you up"

Maya blinks a few times, trying to push the sleepiness away and sits up. But then Taehyung stops her, holding her arm, halting her attempt. "Don't get up"