Chapter 8

Maya looks at her own reflection in the mirror, twirling back and forth as she admires the soft brown blouse and the long faded black skirt Dajeong gave her when she came over for breakfast earlier. She apologized that she does not have many pants for her to wear and she only has skirts and dresses for now. Maya assured her no harm is done and confessed she is fine with whatever she could offer.

"This blouse is quite nice", she tucks the light brown blouse into her knee-length skirt, fixing the edges properly to look neat. "That should do I guess"

Then she lifts her skirt up to her thighs, propping her right feet onto the chair beside her to adjust the holster wrapped around her right thigh. She checks the silver hand-gun, the one engraved with her initials 'J.M', making sure it is loaded. She hooks two little knives at the holster on her left thigh, strapping it tight so they are secured. Then she moves her hand to the back, checking the holster around her waist and nods to herself when everything looks fine to her.

"Now what", she turns to the mirror again, scrutinizing her own look. "How do I tie my hair?"

She searches the basket but apparently there are no hair bands or hair clips. She wouldn't want to bother Dajeong on something she can handle herself. She looks around the room, scanning every shelf, opening every drawer just to search for something she can use to tie her hair. When she failed to find anything, she gave up and stood there in the middle of her room, thinking.

The soft knock on the door made her turn to the door, and before she could even speak, she heard Taehyung's voice.

"Maya?"

"The door is not locked", she replies as she heads to the door, opening it for him.

Taehyung stands there, looking entirely different than this morning. This morning he had looked like a teenage boy with his messy bed hair, sleepy face and eyes and in his comfiest sleeping attire. Right now, decked in loose black linen pants, a light brown knitted shirt that somehow looks loose but then, it fits his frame so perfectly. Maya noticed the black rimmed glasses he is wearing now, surprised that he looks a little bit different with that on.

Taehyung noticed the way she scanned him top to toe so quickly, her trained eyes picking up all the details of his clothes before her eyes flick up to meet his eyes. Little did she know, his sharp eyes managed to scan her even faster than her human eyes. He had only a mere second to recover from the shock of seeing her in a coordinate that matches his own. Both of them are wearing black and brown. Taehyung had to wipe the little grin on his face so fast before she could see it.

"I will be going out to check for updates", he says after clearing his throat, eyes shfiting away from hers.

"Alright", she nods, offering a small smile. "I can wait in the house"

"No"

"No?"

"I mean, I do not think it will be safe for you to be alone", he explains, one hand rubbing the back of his neck.

"I will be fine. I do not think someone will want to kill me on my first day here"

"No, listen to me. You cannot be alone", he snaps a little too harshly.

There was a flash of something dark and fury in his eyes when he replied. It was gone as fast as it appeared a moment ago, making her blink to herself. She stays silent as she hears the low rumble or a soft growl coming from him, confused at the sudden changes. She did not flinch at his words, but it certainly surprised her to see the little temper he has.