(VI)

I dipped my head back and savored the light breeze brushing on my wet, bikini-clad skin. My surfboard bobbed up and down with the gentle motion of the water, while the setting Australian sun cast shadows across the light waves. I kicked my feet back and forth, tipping my head back and closing my eyes.

I would be leaving my paradise in a few days, back to reality. The entire time I had been here, I had only thought about Liam's proposal. As much as I hated him, my feelings for him were even stronger.

Being back out on the water, enjoying life, reminded me that I needed to start living. That meant saying yes to things, being more open-minded, and taking risks.

I couldn't live my life in a plastic bubble of protection, I wanted more. I was a thrill-seeker, and being weighed down my the past had stolen that away from me. I deserved more than just work all the time. I deserved a good relationship. And, crazy as it might be, I wanted it with Liam.

He was the one who taught me how to surf, even though the idea had scared me to no end. He was the one that could make me smile even if everything went wrong that day. He was the one that always supported me, no matter what I did.

And after seeing the sincerity in his eyes as he asked me to give him another chance, I didn't have it in me to say no. I wanted him.

I didn't regret ever being in a relationship with him, in fact I really, really liked it. My only issue was that I couldn't trust him. No matter what.

Forgive and forget. Aria's words of wisdom rang through my ears. I had told her what Liam had asked, and that's all she said.

I'm going to do it, I decided.

****
I stepped off my parents' plane, into the tarmac.

"Spencer!" Aria squealed, rushing over to me. She threw her arms around my shoulders and pulled me tight against her.

I inhaled her comforting, familiar scent. "Hey."

She pulled back and looked me over at an arm's length. "Oh my god! Your tan is so perfect! And your hair! It has the most perfect natural highlights! Australia really did you good."

"Thanks!" I grinned back at her. In honesty, I was so glad I had taken this vacation. I felt better than I had in ages.

"Soooo, what did you decide?" Aria looked at me with her wide blue eyes filled with anticipation.

"I'm going to say yes." I couldn't keep the smile off my face. I was actually really excited.

"Aweeeee!" She clapped her hands. "I'm so proud of you. You're learning to take risks." She cupped the sides of my head and kissed my forehead.

"Thanks. It means a lot." I told her honestly.

She smiled and tugged me into her car. "Where to first, baby sis?"

"The club. I want to see him." I climbed onto the leather seat of her Escalade, buckling myself in as she revved the engine and drove away from the airport.
*
I jumped out of the car, bolting inside. "Liam?"

Meagan, one of the bartenders, looked up and smiled at me. She stopped lining up the bottles set up for tonight's opening and walked over to me. "You're back! And damn girl, you look hot!" She hugged me and I smiled into her embrace. Meagan had worked for me forever, and she was like a friend.

"Thanks. Have you seen Liam?"

"Yeah. I think he's in the stock room." She pointed over her shoulder.

"I'll go see. Thanks, again!" I waved at her, and gleefully bounded over to the stock room.

I pushed the door open, looking for Liam and finally finding him by my desk. The smile on my face instantly dropped. My phone fell from my hands as they flew to my mouth. I bit back a sob, holding on to the doorframe.

No, this couldn't be happening. Not again.