"Oh yeah? Enlighten me." 

Adrian wavesi to a few more girls, then turns back to face me. "You're the dangerous, former rogue, bad-boy-turned-good, Connor Kane." I raise an eyebrow again, but say nothing. "How's that for a reputation?" 

           "Sounds predictable. But not everyone sees me like that," I say, and it was his turn to scoff. 

          "Dude, look at you. You practicaly scream danger to everyone you meet." I cross my arms. 

          "Not Kiara." 

Adrian stops in his tracks, stunned. I smirk, knowing I've hit a sore spot. That fucker likes Kiara, no matter how much she tries to deny it. He lowers his voice, and I notice his eyes go darker.

          "If you ever hurt her, I'll destroy you, Connor." My guard goes up at his threat. My fingers twitch as I fight the urge to knock him unconcious. 

          "And if you ever make a move on her that crosses the friendship line, I'll rip you apart," I all but growl. 

He struts up to me, getting in my face. "Look," he says between gritted teeth, "You may be her mate, but I'm her best friend. I care about her more than I care about anyone. And you're sketchy as fuck, Connor. So don't think for a second that I'm not watching you." 

We stare at each other, unmoving, for about a minute. My eyes are narrowed, and my stance is ready to fight. If he says one more word about her, I swear I'll beat the shit out of him. 

          "Woah, what's with the male show-down?" I feel Kiara's hand envelope mine, and I squeeze it tightly.  

Adrian gives her a smile. "Nothing. I was just telling Connor that this is a small town. There are no secrets here. Not ones that you can keep for long, anyway." He looks at me as he says it, and It was like  his words had a double meaning, only meant for me to understand. But the message was crystal clear. It said, 'Don't screw up. Because I'll know.' 

He walks away with his hands still in his pockets, girls surrounding him as he moved. "That was weird," Kiara says, crinkling her nose in confusion. 

I clench my other fist, not even bothered by the hair hanging in my eyes. I was so fucking sick of people 'watching' me. First Nick and Saxton, then the Alpha, and now Adrian. Am I really that untrustworthy? I inwardly cringe. Don't answer that. 

          "Connor?" Kiara sounds genuinely concerned, and I feel like I'm going to be sick. It shouldn't be this hard. Lying to her shouldn't be this hard. "Are you okay?" 

            "Yes." No. 

She gives me a look that said she wasn't buying it. 

        "I mean... I'm just a little stressed." I'm going to have to kill you, and there's nothing I can do about it. 

She raises herself on her toes and her lips barely graze my jaw. I can't help but smirk; I'm too tall for her.   

  "Adrian's just protective. As is my dad. They'll warm up to you eventually," She says and smiles innocently. She lifts a hand to her forehead, shielding her grey eyes from the sun. "I think Chase is picking us up today. It's way too hot to walk." 

Stuffing my hands in my pockets, I nod swiftly. She leads me to a shiny black Escalade, saying hello to every single person who addresses her. I chuckle under my breath; She thinks she's unqualified to be a Luna, but she talks to everyone, making them feel as though she knows each of them personally. In my opinion, that's the type of personality an Alpha female needs. Unlike me, who officially sucks at first impressions. I mean I can't even--