Alone or lonely? - chapter 18

1992

The music is loud enough for any neighbor to hear. The party started 10 minutes ago, and i am surprised that no one called the police yet, to complain about the noise.

I walk down the alley with Lyla, trying to reach the front door so that we can get inside the house.

I don't know much about Lyla. We have Science together, and we talk from time to time. Diana and Zoey refused to come with me to John's party, saying that he is a total dick and the party is going to be filled with obnoxious drunk people, but i wanted to go. So i asked Lyla, and she agreed.

She's not very popular in our school, but she's not antisocial either. She doesn't belong in a certain group, and she hangs out with different kinds of people all the time, so that's why almost everybody knows who she is. She fits in everywhere, and she doesn't have a problem with hanging out with people that she doesn't know anything about. That's why I knew she was going to come with me to the party.

This is the first party that i am going to without Zoey or Diana, which makes me feel a bit weird. I get drunk or high every time I'm at a one, and every time either Zoey or Diana saves me and brings me home. But now I don't have anyone here that cares for me enough to bring me home if I'm wasted. So i must be very careful.

We get inside the house, and even the hallway is crowded. Everyone is already sweating and it smells terrible inside.

"I'll go get us some drinks. Go and find John." Lyla tells me and walks towards the kitchen.

John is part of the football team and he is a friend of Spencer's. I am friends with him too, and since Spencer is visiting his grandparents, he isn't coming to the party. So i have to hang out with the football team, which I can't say brings me much joy, but I don't know anyone else in here.

I push through the people dancing and drinking, getting to the living room. In a corner, i see John and other people playing beer pong.

"Hey Chloe! What's up?" He greets me and waves me over as i smile back.

I can't say that i don't enjoy his company. He is fun to be around at parties, and he always makes sure to include everybody in what he is doing. For him, it doesn't really matter who you are or if you ever talked to him, if you are fun to be around, you are accepted in the group. Outside of parties though, he can be a real asshole.

"Well, i came to the party like you asked. I hope you're happy." I respond and he puts an arm around my shoulders.

"Zoey and Diana didn't want to come?"

I know that he kind of fancies Diana, but he will never admit it. Plus, Diana doesn't like him at all, and she is always complaining if she has to hang out with him.

"No. But I'm here with Lyla."

"Cool. Want to play?" He asks, referring to the beer pong game.

Almost the whole football team is there, with their girlfriends. Other people from the party that wanted to join are there too. Four people are playing, the others are cheering or watching in silence from the sofas.

"No. Too early to get drunk." I refuse and take a seat, while John does the same.

"It's just a little beer. But, it's your choice." He takes a sip from whatever he has in his red cup, and focuses his attention towards the game.

I look around for Lyla, and smile when i see her approaching us.

"Here you go." She gives me my drink, and sits down on my right, while John is on my left.