Fighting, at what cost? - chapter 6

I'm so happy 'cause today I found my friends
They're in my head
I'm so ugly, that's okay, 'cause so are you

***

"Thank you for agreeing with this meeting. I think we are all aware of what happened yesterday and the reason we are here is to find out more about this. Something like that should never happen at a school like Westfield High, since we value discipline the most. I must say, I've been the principal of this school for almost 20 years, and a fight like that has never happened before. I hope we all realize that this is unacceptable." He sits down at his desk. "Shall we start?"

"He punched me, what is there to talk about?" Spencer raises his voice.

"This asshole started it!" Tate responds and everyone lets out a disappointed sigh, while I'm trying to hide my smile.

"I'm sorry for my son. I think it would be best if I'm the one talking." His mom says and grabs his shoulders as a warning sign. Tate slumps back in his seat, defeated.

"Yes, but I think we should hear Spencer's side first." The principal says while looking at Spencer. His dad stands behind him with a confident allure, ready to stand up for his son like we are in court.

"Why?" Tate asks.

"Because his face is more busted than yours." I respond and look at him. He lets out a short laugh and I giggle. My mom slams my shoulder discreetly, basically telling me to shut up.

Spencer ignores my comment and starts talking. "He was making advances on my girlfriend when it all started. He had one hell of an attitude when I talked to him about it. He started calling me names and threatening me. I tried to back away, but he was really angry and started yelling, causing a scene. Everyone gathered around us and that's when he got some more courage and punched me." He says. I wasn't there when the fight started, but I'm sure he's making it all up.

"That's bullshit." Tate says under his breath, but loud enough for us to hear.

"Mr. Langdon, i advise you to stop using foul language since you are already in trouble. Also, please wait for your turn."

I want to laugh at Tate's reactions to all of this, and hearing the principal say "foul language" doesn't help. Can't he just say "stop swearing"? Either way, I keep quiet and look at my mom from time to time. I relax when I see that she is hiding her smile too.

"There's not much about it. After he lunged at me, Chloe came and stopped the fight." He looks at me, so I turn my head and make eye contact with him. "She really is the one who saved me from Tate's hands. She's like, a hero. I don't want her to get in any trouble." He looks back at the principal the same time I avert my gaze. I've never seen him be so fake than he is today.

Tate furrows his brows, confused that Spencer is trying to help me.

"Miss Winter did help, but she has made mistakes too, that could've been avoided by thinking this situation through."

"She made a mistake because she was blinded by Tate's apparent kindness. She's lucky that he didn't hurt her. It's not her fault that no one advised her to be careful with him." 

Why is he speaking like he is my dad? "I'm sorry, but I really, really don't need your help, Spencer. Or your opinion." He looks at me and narrows his eyes. Is he really surprised that I'm standing up for myself, and I don't need him? I guess he doesn't know me at all.

"First of all, i don't know what made you think Tate would hurt me. I understand that you two are now on bad terms, but that doesn't give you the right to call him dangerous. And also, I'm not a baby and i can take care of myself in any situation. I don't need protection from anyone, especially not from you." I say, annoyed. I'm glad that I can finally speak up.