6.6 - Simple Minds

Start from the beginning

And so, in the past few moments while these fellows had been gawking down at her body and bickering about drinking habits before deciding to rape her, Clotho had been devising a plan. She was not sure whether it would work, but the attempt would certainly be worth it.

“If you violate me, you shall suffer the wrath of the gods,” she forewarned, speaking in the most authoritative tone that she could manage. “For they have sent me down to earth bearing a message for humanity. And messengers of the gods must not be harmed.”

The squatting man stared at her face, eyes no longer tempted to stray downward, as she was covering the parts that were of interest to him. “But… but then why would they send you down naked?”

Seriously? That was the first thing this man chose to ask, upon hearing her words? Clotho could tell that it would be no easy task to deal with the souls of such incredibly crass, simpleminded men. Would they even be susceptible to moral edification, to any form of education?

Before she could reply, the man’s companion spoke. “You do know she’s more likely a lunatic than truly what she claims to be?”

“I told you what I saw. This would explain how she appeared.”

“Bloody hell, so now you’re not just drunk—you’re mad…”

“He is not mad,” Clotho cut in, “and neither am I. Should you wish for proof that I have been sent as a vessel of the gods, I can provide it.”

“Well, then, you’d best provide it fast,” the skeptical companion demanded. “I’ve been in need of a good fuck for quite some time.”

Ugh! No wonder you’ve been in need—any woman would know to stay miles away from the bed of a pig, Clotho replied inside her mind. Aloud, she chose more diplomatic words. “Take me to your people, to the nearest city or town, so that I may deliver my message. As proof of the power of the gods, you shall then witness a miracle.”

The squatting man squinted in perplexity. “Is that a riddle?”

“Whatever it is, I haven’t the patience…” the other man muttered, reaching for his crotch to scratch an itch. Mayhap to free his meat.

Clotho shuddered, visceral disgust inciting her to speak in forceful terms. “Unleash your cock and the gods will chop it off before they end your sorry life. Tomorrow will find you a dead and dickless man.”

This gave him pause. He scratched his head again.

“Call me drunk, call me mad, but I know you don’t want to risk that,” his friend asserted. “Come on—it’s not worth it. Let’s take her into town. You can always fuck her later if she fails to offer proof.”

With a grumble and a groan, the pig agreed. To Clotho’s pleasant surprise, the other man gave her his cloak to drape over her frame as they led her away. She was grateful for the gesture, even if it was only for fear that the gods might emasculate him if he failed to respect her.

The feeling of coarse cloth against her skin reminded her of when Rider had done the same… But she dismissed the notion swiftly. Could not afford to think of that. She knew she had to focus on her task.

Soon enough, they reached a small village, where humble hovels sat amidst a mess of narrow, unpaved roads. The whole place exuded simplicity, for better and for worse. Both in the sense that simple minds had clearly built these huts—some of which looked as if the slightest wind could blow them off into oblivion—and also in the sense that the rhythm of life here seemed easy, honest, and charmingly modest. Much unlike King Cepheus’s city by the seacliffs, where Clotho recalled having felt ill at ease at every turn. Where far too many street vendors had seemed set to strike a swindling deal. Where so few of the smiles on passersby’s faces had seemed real.

Whereas here, from what she could gather at first glance, the townsfolk did not appear to have much interest in manipulative or otherwise malevolent agendas. They seemed concerned mostly with their own lives. Largely preoccupied with fundamental matters such as when they might enjoy their next good fuck, or next full meal.

Maybe this wouldn’t be so bad. Though simplemindedness surely was not a virtue, Clotho knew, she found this unassuming way of life endearing in some ways. Even if not in every way. At any rate, these simple minds would be more likely to believe what she was set to say.

The two men took her to the center of their town, where a sizable group had gradually assembled, drawn by sheer curiosity upon seeing a stranger in their midst—foreigners were rather rare in these parts.

At first, they were a restless bunch, pestering the men with questions, reaching to touch Clotho’s hair and probe under her cloak. But eventually they all shut up and stopped harassing her, once her escorts managed to convince them that they ought to let her speak.

She commanded her gaze and her voice to stay steady, posture poised and proud, as she addressed the gathered crowd. “I have been sent by the gods, bearing a message: that they have grown weary of humankind’s wayward ways,” she proclaimed. “But before smiting this place, they hereby grant the kindness of fair warning, and a chance at redemption. If the people of this land promptly attempt to change.”

Many heads were scratched, all too dumbstruck to interrupt.

“As proof of the power and mercy of the gods,” Clotho pressed on, “a miracle shall be performed. Show me an ailing soul, one on the very verge of death. Someone of pure heart who does not deserve to die. And I promise that this person shall not perish on the morrow, but instead will live and be well for a while. I ask only that you refrain from harming me until tomorrow, allowing the gods one day’s time to execute this miracle. And, if fulfilled, to accept it as proof of my word.”

She held her breath upon conclusion of her speech, unsure how it would be received. In the heavy silence, not a sound was to be heard.

And then someone stepped forward.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Any thoughts about Clotho's plan? About what's going to happen? o_o

P.S. Dedication to @MMMMimz, one of the four fabulous Fatefuls who entered the Triathlon event in the 2014 Fateful Olympics (by submitting in the fanfiction, fan art, AND Book II cover contests)!! MMMMimz also won the coveted title of #Cloder Ship Captain in the Fates Fandom HQ :D

Next scene, we'll check in with Atria in modern-day Athens...

** And if you liked this one, please don't forget to vote! :) **