Chapter 38 - The whole truth

Sorry po short chapter.

Claire's POV

I was determined to find the whole truth . Everything. But as I stepped in Mr. Rodriquez office...I was quite nervous, but I kept a straight face as my eyes and his met. Mrs. Rodriquez is sitting, one of the chairs in front of his husband's desk. Our eyes met and she smiled at me, like she knew what I wanted to know. I looked away and walked towards the chair in front of her. Every action I made they both watched, as I sat on the chair.

I took a deep breath before facing Mr. Rodriquez with no expression seen in my face, especially my eyes. I don't want anyone reading me quickly by my expression - especially right now.

"Are you gonna start talking or you're going to wait till I ask you a question?" Matapang kong sabi sa kanya.

Nanatili siyang nakatingin sakin, wala din akong nababasang espresyon sa mukha niya. I heard his wife take a deep breath like she's preparing herself to hear what her husband is going to tell us.

Huminga ng malalim si Mr. Rodriquez at tinaggal ang salaman na suot niya at maingat na inilapag sa lamesa niya bago niya pinagsiklop ang kamay niyang dalawa at binuka ang bibig niya.

"It all started when my problems overlapped; My company, family..." He stopped and looked at his wife. "...and when we had a big fight about a baby." He said while looking at Mrs. Rodriquez. Nag-iwas siya ng tingin sa asawa niya. "I didn't know what I was going to do then. That time your father and I had the same problem about the company. It's about money. Tinulungan namin ang isa't-isa noon para makabangon kaming dalawa. He was actually my best friend since elementary, parang kapatid ko na rin siya."

"Ilang taon din ang nakalipas nung makabangon kaming pareho. We went out to have a drink to celebrate our success. Hindi ko inaasahan na yung gabing din yun ang pinagsisishan ko. I was drunk...So drunk that...I slept with someone."

Napatingin ako kay Mrs. Rodriquez nung narinig ko ang paghikbi niya. I wanted to comfort her - I reached for her hand and squeezed it, making her look at me. We smiled at each other before I coldly stared at Mr.Rodriquez.

"Hindi ko masyadong naalala kung ano ang nangyari nung gabing iyon. Isang araw nung nasa opisina ako, may nagpakilala sakin. Her name is Naviana...and she's claiming that she's pregnant with my child. I didn't believe her. I told your father about it and he investigated her...turns out she was telling the truth. Ayokong malaman ng asawa ko ang ginawa kong karantaduhan kaya pinakidnap ko siya at....I was planning on killing both of them."

"Pero nakonsensya ako. I couldn't kill that child...my child. That's why I waited the baby to come out para siya lang ang kukunin ko't hindi si Naviana. Nung nalaman yun ni Navy...She started hurting herself to hurt her and my child. Kaya habanag wala ako, I hired someone to look after her. Your Dad also helped me kung wala ako noon sa pinagtaguan namin sa kanya. When she gave birth to my son....Ibang saya ang nararamdaman ko noon. I was overwhelmed because I always wanted a child."

Napatingin siya sa asawa niya. His eyes were full with regrets and fear. Napabuntong-hininga siya at nagsimula ulit magkwento.

"Nung mga panahon na iyon, duon rin mo pinagbubuntin ang unang anak natin." Sabi niya sa asawa niya. "I was afraid that you would leave me at ilalayo mo sakin ang anak natin kaya kahit mahirap at masakit tinago ko ang anak ko kay Naviana. Hindi ko naman pwedeng ibigay sa kanyang ina dahil pera lang ang habol niya sa anak ko. Kaya pinaampon ko siya. Sinabi ko sa nagampon sa kanyang wag nilang ilalayo ang anak ko at bibisitahin ko siya, but one day they just disappeared along with my son. I looked for him for years...pero hanggang ngayon bigo parin ako."