"No, not really." I shook my head.

 "We were taught by a Messenger." He smirked. "Perhaps you will learn more once you reach the castle. Sypha told me the library has centuries of history from Wallachia and across the world."

"Sypha!?" I exclaimed. "You know her?" I scratched my head awkwardly. "Of course you must know her, you're a Speaker too and you folks are always keeping in touch!" I told him how she helped me find my way to the village.

"You were well met." The Elder said warmly. "Sypha is my granddaughter." 

"Wow that's crazy!" I gasped. "Small world. Sypha's alive and well, though I wish she traveled with better company than a rude smelly drunk. At least he was nice enough to give me this knife."

"I'm happy to hear that." The Elder responded relieved before handing me a golden medallion with runes. "This will ward off any demons who may cross your path, it'll keep you safe until you reach your destination."

At the border of the land, I parted ways with the Speakers. It was a bittersweet goodbye, for I had grown close to this roving band of magicians. Especially Vivian, who cried when she hugged me tight. "You could stay with us." I wish, but I gotta do this." I said. "I have a feeling we'll see each other again one day." "I hope so." She kissed me on the forehead. "Good luck."

Mary was just as emotional, pecking me on the cheeks like an old nanny. "Best of luck young one, may the ancestors watch over you." She gave me a weathered but sharp sword. "It was my husband's before he passed on. The blade is silver, if that vampire gives you a hard time just plunge it into his heart." I thanked her, hoping it didn't come to that.

I bode farewell to the Speakers, setting down the hill in my travelers cloak using my staff with my sword concealed beneath the cape. Following the Elder's directions, I stayed on the abandoned dirt road as it wove through the vampire's country, through bordering forests and the edges of rugged mountainsides. Walking with confidence and excitement, using my staff as a hiking stick with my head held high.

Where the road was withered the signs led the way, marked with skulls and warning. "Castle Ahead." "Turn Back" "Danger and Death Ahead" The good stuff. I ignored the warnings and followed their directions.

I walked well on into dusk and started looking for shelter for the night. I found it at the bottom of a cliff and started a fire. Warming my hands and nibbling at the packed meats the speakers gave me, I gazed at the stars emerging above the treetops. "I sure hope I find what I'm looking for, whatever it may be." I murmured to myself. "And that this Alucard is more welcoming to guests than the rumors say he is." I touched the hilt of my sword. "Can I even stab a vampire with this thing? Maybe I'll get a better shot with my knife. What did Trevor say, stick them with the pointy end?"

A beastly snarl startled me from my wonderings. At the edge of the firelight a horde of glowing red eyes stared at me. "I see you, you shitheads." I warned, standing up and unsheathing my sword. The night creatures snarled from the shadows, but didn't move further. They couldn't hurt me with the amulet ward.

Didn't mean they couldn't chase me.

I sprinted through the the woods  as the the hellish beasts snapped literally on my heels, gaining on me with each stride of their claws. All I was aware of was the blood rushing through my ears and the feral snarls of the unholy beasts. I had no direction in mind, no intent on where I was going. Instinct compelled me to run for my life, to where it didn't matter. With the adrenaline pulsing through my body I was able to keep a meager distance away from the monsters' pursuit. Barely escaping the clang of their fangs by a breadth.

I tripped and collapsed face first into the ground, a sharp pain throbbing up and down my right ankle. My head swam as I tried to right myself up again. The throbbing in my foot is overwhelming and I couldn't put enough weight on it to stand quickly enough.
"God no." I whispered terrified. The leader of the beasts  leapt straight at me, and with a wall behind me and an acutely injured foot I had nowhere to flee. I'm dead. I thought morbidly, watching my doom drew near. This is it.