Chapter 4

Edward's P.O.V

"Her mother? You really are crazy old man." Jasper laughs.

"Harley is half vampire and half human. The gunk she oh-so-kindly broke was something I developed myself, it allowed her to enhance her vampire strength and other abilites but didn't give her the craving for blood." Her father tells us coldly.

"How is Maria her mother?" Peter asks.

"Harley doesn't know Maria is her mother. When I was young, I met Maria and fell for her. I wanted to marry her and we were almost wed. Then she told me what she was but to ensure I stayed she told me she was with child-"

"That's impossible! Vampires don't reproduce sexually she wouldn't be able to have kids!" I cut in.

"You're a vampire, you are literally the living dead. That was thought to be impossible too remember?" He shoots back evenly. 

"Continue." Jasper barks. The man rolls his eyes before taking a breath.

"I didn't believe her but as her stomach became larger it became clear she spoke the truth. I waited until Harley was born before knocking her mother out and fleeing into the night. I changed our names and met an older woman who had a son. I married her and we had another daughter. Then one night Harley and I went to town to see a show and when we got back, Maria was there. She drank my wife's blood before I managed to knock her out and we fled again." He looks down at the floor in sadness.

"Will Maria hurt Harley?" Charlotte asks him.

"I doubt it. If she does it will be because she's got no other move to make. Maria may be crazy but she still has that maternal instinct to protect her daughter." He responds

Harley's P.O.V

I had blacked out at one point on the long run. Now that I'm awake I take in my surroundings, fresh clean sheets on a nice bed. A huge room made for a girl about my age, hm. I slowly swing my feet from the bed and step down instantly noticing the cool marble floor beneath me. I creep out slowly  and find Maria sitting in a parlor sipping tea and laughing with what looks to be her boyfriend.

"Hello Harley, why don't you have a seat so we can talk?" Maria asks. Okay, I feel like if I sit she's going to kill me so...

"I'll stand thanks." I respond coldly. Maria's smile falters momentarily before she dismisses the supposed boyfriend.

"You already know my name but I doubt you know why you are here." Maria sets down her cup and looks at me."I'm here because I'm an advantage. Jasper won't let you hurt me and my friends will try to get me back when you can then use me as leverage to get them back yadda yadda yadda." I state dryly. Maria was quietly staring at me, looking me up and down.

"I could see why Jasper loves you so much" she tells me blandly. Did I hear a hint of... Disappointment?

"You overestimate my value to Jasper." 

"You underestimate them." She responds evenly. Maria stood up gracefully and motioned for me to follow her. We were walking around outside in a massive garden, big shrubs and beautiful flowers.

"Where are we?"

"Not Texas. It was a good guess Harley but I have safe houses everywhere." Great, now my friends have nothing and those four idiots will kill each other before they get the chance to figure anything else out. 

"Maria, as much as I love it here I have to get back to my friends so point me in the general direction please." I command boldly after a short lapse of silence.