Chapter 29

…hesitated.

His hesitation surprised him. He wanted to kill Odin - he hated Odin, and had every right to. Humans, Jotuns, and Asgardians alike - including Odin's own family - agreed that Odin deserved to die. But he couldn't do it.

He just…couldn't…do it.

For a moment, Loki thought that maybe Odin was using magic to stop him, so he closed his eyes and focused. He thought about how much he hated Odin, about all the pain he had been forced to endure, and everything else Odin had done. He cast around with his own magic, trying to block out any influences that might be staying his hand.

But still, his hand didn't move, because the resistance was inside him.

For several more minutes, Loki fought with himself. He felt everyone's eyes on him, and he knew that it would be better for everyone if he could just make himself do it. But no matter how he argued with himself, it was all to no avail.

At last, Loki opened his eyes, gave Odin one last wrathful glare…then sighed heavily, shook his head, and stepped back, lowering his weapon.

"I cannot," he said softly. He closed his eyes, turned his back to Odin, and cast his ice dagger aside, allowing it to shatter on the floor. "Someone else do it - I cannot," he said.

"Loki," Frigga said softly as he walked towards her, away from Odin. She put a hand on his arm comfortingly. He looked at her, showing with his eyes that he appreciated her touch, but said nothing.

"Silvertongue, you mustn't do this!" Enchessa exclaimed, her momentary shock wearing off. "After all he's done-!"

"I am not asking that he be spared!" Loki snapped at Enchessa. His face fell, and he sighed again. "I simply cannot end him myself." He looked at Yardaff. "Brother, next to me, you have the most right to do it…If the gates between the realms will remain open, it ought to be you."

Yardaff nodded.

"Loki."

Loki turned at the soft voice, and saw that Odin was looking at him, not with anger or hatred, but with total confusion.

"I don't understand," Odin said softly. "After all this, you wouldn't-?"

"I would, if I could," Loki told him. "There is very little that I want more…but I cannot. I know not why."

Odin shook his head slightly, apparently speechless. There was silence for a moment. Then, Yardaff spoke.

"Know this, Father of Nightmares," he said to Odin: "The blood for which you so despised my brother…is the very thing that stays his hand now."

Everyone turned to the Jotun prince.

"We are not a race of warriors," Yardaff said; "vengeance in blood is not our way, save for the most heinous of crimes…and no Jotun would raise a hand to his father, no matter how much he may deserve it. The bond of family cannot be broken - not even when it should. My brother has proven himself a true Jotun this day." He turned to Loki. "Our father would be proud," he said.