Chapter 6

Loki and Darcy didn't catch up with Jane and Erik before the latter pair had gotten back to the temporary base they had set up to get ready for Thor's arrival. The place consisted of a few tents in the middle of the desert; in terms of living quarters, they were just a bit less meagre than the trailer that Jane, Darcy, and Erik had been using when Thor had first come to Earth. There was also a large, covered area that served as the common area for dining and such, as well as the portable sections of Jane's lab.

Of course, Erik and Jane were waiting, alone, in the common space. When Loki and Darcy came near enough to see them, Loki noticed that Erik was talking to Jane with one hand on her shoulder, and that Jane was crying.

Of course, it didn't take any effort to figure out what was going on.

"Perhaps we should leave them be?" he suggested to Darcy.

She turned to him. "I understand that Jane's upset about Thor not coming back, but if you're going to be staying with us instead, they're going to have to deal with it, and they're going to have to deal with it now," she said firmly, and Loki was actually surprised by her adamance. He knew that whatever there was (or wasn't) going to be between them, she had no reason to be sticking up for him like she seemed to want to do; besides which, from what little he knew of her, she wasn't normally so considerate…

He sighed. "As you say," he said; "they are your friends, after all."

"We're going to be your family," Darcy said firmly.

Loki blinked; this was taking things a bit far, surely? Yes, he wanted to belong somewhere. Yes, he was going to manipulate the three mortals to that end. But family? 'Family' was a word that no longer held meaning for him, and he didn't really even want one…

Unable to find a way to put his protests into words, however, he silently followed Darcy to where Erik and Jane were.

"Erik," Darcy said brusquely. "Jane."

Jane looked up, struggling to get herself under control. Erik glanced at Darcy, noticed Loki standing behind her, and immediately directed a glare at the former Asgardian. Loki averted his eyes, wondering if perhaps this was a mistake.

"What's he doing here?" Erik asked Darcy sharply.

"Loki's going to be staying with us," Darcy said firmly.

"No, he's not," Erik snapped. "I told you, I don't want him here-"

"He has nowhere to go!" Darcy protested.

"I shan't stay if it would displease you," Loki inserted before the argument could get out of hand; "I have no desire to force myself upon you."

"Since when?" Erik sneered, clearly being cautious not to fall for Loki's manipulative ways.

Loki bowed his head. "You are wise not to trust me," he said, "and I do not blame you. However, I mean you no harm. I can say nothing to convince you of this, and I know my past actions indicate that my words are dishonest in this respect, but I would prove my good intentions, if given the chance - and a chance is all I ask." As always, he added to himself. Really, that was all he ever wanted…