Chapter 13

Yardaff stood still, watching his people train for battle, as night began to fade from the dark and cloudy Jotun sky.

All of the Frost Giants of Jotunheim - the male Frost Giants, at least - were well-trained in combat. However, thanks to Loki, Yardaff knew something his father had not: Asgardians always attack their enemies head-on - such is simply their battle tactic. The Frost Giants had also always fought thus, but Loki had told Yardaff of his own battle tactics using trickery and illusion, and Yardaff hoped that perhaps a similar tactic could be developed for all of his people. Given that Asgardians were superior only in terms of brute force, such a tactic would ensure victory for Jotunheim. And my brother, Yardaff thought.

At the very least, some practice in countering head-on attacks was sorely needed by all the Frost Giants of Jotunheim. Many of them would still die - that was all but certain - but if they could outwit their physically superior enemies in battle, they might stand a chance…

"Prince Yardaff."

"Lady Enchessa," Yardaff said formally, turning to her and giving her the typical Jotun gesture of respect, which she returned.

She stood and walked up beside him. He turned around, and they both looked out on the training masses.

"It is fortunate that your brother gave us insight into the battle tactics of the Asgardians," Enchessa said. "Although, we always should have known it - Asgardians are arrogant warriors, who care only for brute force."

"Indeed," Yardaff said, only half-listening.

There was a pause.

"What is on your mind, My Lord?" Enchessa finally asked, noticing that the Jotun prince was deep in thought.

"Many of our people will die if we go to war," Yardaff said. "No matter how well we prepare, that is inevitable."

"If we are prepared enough, Asgardian casualties will far outnumber ours," Enchessa said, sounding very pleased at the thought.

"Perhaps…" Yardaff said slowly.

"We cannot allow your brother to go unavenged," Enchessa reminded Yardaff.

"No, we cannot," Yardaff agreed. "Still, all of this is due to the impudence of a single Asgardian." He turned to her. "Odin must pay in blood for what he did to my brother," he said, "but there is no true need for anyone else to suffer. I cannot help but wonder if there may be another way…"

"What do you suggest?" Enchessa asked, somewhat mockingly. "Politely asking the All-Father to surrender himself?"

Yardaff hesitated, then decided to tell her his thought.

"Both my father and the All-Father agreed to a truce between our realms because they understood the devastating consequences of war," he said; "perhaps, given that we would spare the rest of his people, the All-Father could be persuaded to surrender himself to us, with no need for bloodshed."

"The All-Father is a stubborn, arrogant old fool," Enchessa spat. "He would not surrender himself out of remorse for his despicable treatment of your brother."

"No, he would not," Yardaff agreed; "however, perhaps for the sake of his people, he might be willing…" He sighed. "With my father dead, and my brother unable to live among us because of the All-Father's curse, the duty of ruling Jotunheim falls to me," he said to her. "I am to be king of Jotunheim; nothing remains except my coronation, which is little more than a formality. I must be careful with my decisions, for our people are my responsibility. Any action that would preserve Jotun lives should be attempted first, and war should only be a last resort."

"You told us how the All-Father showed no remorse for the atrocity he committed," Enchessa said.

"My Lady, I am fully aware that the All-Father must pay with his life for what he did to my brother, and do not contest that for a moment," Yardaff said firmly; "I simply feel that alternatives to war should be given a chance first, for the sake of our people. I…believe I was too hasty, in declaring war."

"It is your decision, My Lord, what course of action we should take," Enchessa said respectfully. "However, expecting the All-Father to surrender himself is little more than madness; no matter what happens, we must be prepared for war with Asgard."

"Agreed," Yardaff said, turning to look out once more at the masses of gray figures attempting to learn to outwit attacks of brute force.

"You should be training yourself, Your Highness," she added.

"I am aware of that," Yardaff said; "however, a course of action that will not cost any of our kind's lives is something that I must determine. As king, that is my duty."

"As is choosing a second-in-command of your army," Enchessa commented.

"That is no difficult task," Yardaff said dismissively; "Krunagh is to head the army, under my command."

Enchessa turned to Yardaff. "Not I?" she asked indignantly.

Yardaff turned back to Enchessa, his glowing red eyes meeting hers steadily. "My Lady, I do not doubt your abilities, nor your strength," he told her; "however, Krunagh has experience - he served as general under my father in the old days of war, and is still a very capable fighter. I mean you no disrespect, I assure you."

Enchessa's eyes still burned with indignation, but her face was expressionless as she knelt in the traditional Jotun gesture of respect. Yardaff returned the gesture, and she stood and walked away without a word.

He watched her go. He couldn't really afford to be distracted from his duties, but Enchessa had always been his heart's desire. He all but worshipped her for her beauty, her intellect, her skill in magic…but she had always treated him with cold aloofness, as though he was beneath her. She treated everyone else likewise - she was very proud. Despite that, Yardaff had always dreamt of one day earning her favor - she would be his queen, there was no doubt about that, but as things stood, it would only be because she would have no choice in the matter, which was not the way Yardaff wanted it to be…

Catching himself, Yardaff shook his head and forced Enchessa out of his mind, if only for the time being; his realm was on the brink of war, and he needed to focus on his duties. If only he could find a way to take Odin One-Eye's life without sacrificing any of his people…