Chapter 45. T

Antonio

🥃🥃🥃

I knew that letting Sara go to work—the same place where that fucker works—was a bad idea. A terrible one.

But she insisted and convinced me she wanted to. And I'm not going to force her to stay home like Rapunzel and never set foot in that building again—even when I really wanted to.

During the day, I kept on texting her and asking for updates. And she answered every one of my texts with either a thumbs up or saying something along the lines of "I'm fine. Stop bothering me while I'm working". I knew she meant this as teasing as she sent a few laughing faces and heart emojis along with it, but I still texted her every hour on the dot for updates.

I called her during her lunch break and she sounded fine. Then an hour after lunch, I texted her again. She immediately replied, telling me she's still fine.

An hour after that I text her again, but I get no reply this time. I start to fucking worry. I'm still in my underwear, but I hastily put on the first piece of clothing I see, not caring what it is. It happens to be basketball shorts and a shirt.

I am about to go straight to her office when Izzy calls me. I decline. I'm not in the mood to chat with her. But she calls me again while I'm riding down the elevator.

This time I do answer. "What?" It comes out as a near growl without my intention.

"Antonio. Can you come over?"

The no is instant on my lips. Until she tells me it's about Sara.

I fucking knew something was wrong. Every time I sent her a text, she'd respond within the minute. But five minutes after my latest text, I knew something was off. She had told me she had no meetings planned for the day, so I knew she wasn't busy not to answer me.

I'm surprised I didn't crash on my way there. I know I shouldn't have, but I went way over the speed limit to reach her as fast as possible.

Luca is waiting by the door, and I don't bother saying hi to him. I dash inside.

"She's in the guest bedroom." He tells me as I'm already taking the stairs two at a time when I didn't see her in the open living room.

Izzy is outside the door, and I barely notice her glassy eyes before I enter the bedroom and softly close the door behind me.

"Sara," I breathe, the sight of her on the bed, clutching a pillow and in a fetal position fucking shatters my heart into pieces.

I pull her into my lap and she immediately starts crying—sobbing—into my neck, her entire body trembling in my arms.

I let her cry for however long she needs. With every sob and shudder, another piece of my heart breaks further into pieces.

I don't know when I started crying as well. But I just did. I hate hearing the sound of her guttural sobs. Seeing her breaking down in my arms.

I don't know what happened; I didn't want to waste time by asking Izzy or Luca. All I know is that Travis is a dead man. It definitely had to do with him.

After maybe thirty minutes, her cries simmer down. I keep on rubbing soothing circles on her back, trying to calm her down. She starts hiccuping, and she squeezes her arms tighter around my neck.

"I'm here." I whisper to her. "I'm not going anywhere."

She pushes her face deeper into my neck, her hiccups fading out, but her body still shakes with a few shivers.