Chapter 44. S

Sara

👑👑👑

"No."

I sigh, knowing that he'd say that.

"I appreciate your concern, but this is my decision to make."

Antonio sighs. "I know that, gorgeous. But I don't feel good knowing he's still working there."

"I understand, but I'll try to avoid him." I try to reason with him.

I just told him I want to go back to work. Back to the office. It's been almost five weeks since I last set foot in my office. I think going back would be good for me, a change of scenery or something. In the beginning, I enjoyed staying home, but I'm starting to go crazy without actual human contact.

"Still. If Mia is not forcing you to go back, then why?"

"Because I want to." I push back some of his curls back. "I can't work from home forever."

"Yes, you can."

I chuckle and give him a soft kiss on the cheek.

"I love you,"—it still feels surreal to say it—"but I'm doing it."

He looks at me, studying my face. "I love you too, baby." He lets out a frustrated sigh. "And I trust you to know what the best decision for you is."

"Thank you." I kiss him on the lips this time. "I'll give Mia a call and let her know I'll be coming in tomorrow." Tomorrow is Monday.

It's been a week since our love confession, and I get this giddy smile every time he tells me he loves me. He says it when we wake up, before and after every kiss. Sometimes just randomly, like we'll be eating breakfast and he'd blurt it out. I love it.

"You'll do the full day?" He asks.

"Yeah,"

"Why not ease into it with only half the day?" He tries again.

"Honey," I don't say this endearment a lot, but I know when I say it, he really enjoys it so I'm using it to my advantage. "I'll be fine."

"Okay. You're right. You'll be fine." He gives me a long kiss. "You're strong. And I love you."

See! Completely random.

👑

On Monday morning, I wake up extra early to get ready. Anton also woke up with me. He wanted to drive me there, but I declined and told him to go back to sleep.

No one, including Mia, knows the real reason why I decided to work from home for more than a month. They just know it had to do with personal reasons.

It was great to see familiar faces again. A lot has happened since I've been gone. People hooked up together, a person quit, another was fired, we also have three new interns.

Mia and I chatted for a few minutes before she made me get to work.

For lunch, me and a colleague went to a nearby little cafe. I rarely go out for lunch when I'm at work, but I thought this is better to help me not run into a certain person.

An hour after lunch break, Mia calls me into her office. As I'm walking to her office, I reply to a message from Antonio asking me how I'm doing.

The moment I step foot inside, my entire body freezes.

The person I'm trying to forget, the last person I want to see, is sitting in the chair before Mia's desk.

His eyes go to mine for a split second before he faces forward again.